× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ps4 randomly disconnects on xr500

jebrown1979
Guide

ps4 randomly disconnects on xr500

the ethernet disconnected twice yesterday causing my ps4 to lose online status untill i rebooted. also my samsubg galaxy tab 3 can only use 20 mins of wifi before it disconnects and have to be reconnected very frustrating when your watching something also lag is still evident in this router that i paid £250 for much much more lag than my r7000. i dont know if i have set it up right or if something needs changing. bufferbloat is set to 70% on both. i have a smart home where everything connects to wifi but nomore than 3 or 4 devices used at once. say if my girlfriend is watching tv downstairs the tv is connected so is the sky box. then i wil be upstairs using pc and ps4. because other things are connected but not used they will send and recieve some data so i dont if bufferbloat needs to be always on or just when high traffic is detected. i live in hull i have my own isp 400mb down and 35mbup i am really at my wits end so any advice is really really appreciated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

also ps4 and pc are wired 

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Ensure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 
Set a IP address reservation for the PS4 and any other devices connected ON the router. 

Possible you have BB set to low, try 80 or 90% and see if this still continues to happen.

Message 3 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

the firmware is the latest V2.3.2.40 A7legit. its my isp white ONT box not a modem that my router connects to i send you a pic if you want.

i tried BB 85% it worked for a while then 2 disconnects but gameplay wise it was alot better. going to try BB at 90%

i have an AFX gaming cat6 cable from my white ONT box to my router and the same cable from my router to my ps4 they cost £20 each so i hope they are good cables lol.

Message 4 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

oh and when it does disconnect it sometimes comes back as 100MB connection so i have to unplug then plug back in to get the white light on my router. but the strange thing is my pc when powered down i mean totally off shut down still shows a red light on the router but when ps4 is shut down there is no light which leads me to believe there is something wrong somewhere

Message 5 of 18
CeeDaRula
Aspirant

Funny how this issue is happening with XBox as well.

Message 6 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

are we to do a total factory reset and set up everything again its just frustrating how some people dont have problems but others do

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there any kind of power saving or instant ON silimar features enabled on PS4. If the connection is being reported as 100Mb after a disonnect, symptoms of possible bad cable, bad console or bad router. 

I would downgrade to v32, factory reset and setup from scratch and see if that changes anything.

@jebrown1979 wrote:

oh and when it does disconnect it sometimes comes back as 100MB connection so i have to unplug then plug back in to get the white light on my router. but the strange thing is my pc when powered down i mean totally off shut down still shows a red light on the router but when ps4 is shut down there is no light which leads me to believe there is something wrong somewhere

Message 8 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

the cables are only a 2 nonths old same time as i bought the router will try installing the other firmware and setting it all back up is there a link for the firmware thans

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Age of cables isn't much of a factor, if cables were defective coming out of the box then that needs to be address, if needed. Simple swap of cables with known working cables can help here. 

Let us know if FW downgrade changes things. 

Message 10 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

so set BB to 90% so far so good will try it for a few days and post back if any more problems occur

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Hope it works better. Let us know. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would recommend saturating your network (i.e. downloading heavily, streaming etc) while following this guide and trying different Anti-BB percentages on Always to find what keeps your ping as stable & low as possible: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-pr...

Also are you using smart connect for WiFi? If so disable this and connect the devices to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz and see if that resolves the WiFi issue.

Message 13 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

ok so done the test extensivley using www.bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk and 70% did produce the best result. do i keep always on when playing games on the ps4. and how do i change different wifi from 2.4ghz and 5ghz it comes up as one name and if i change name on 2.4ghz it also changes 5ghz name to the same name if you know what i mean is there a way to change the name for both maybe thats the problem

Message 14 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really up to you, depends if there is heavy internet usage when not gaming - if so then I would recommend always, otherwise when high priority traffic detected. You need to disable 'Smart Connect' first in WiFi settings and then when you make changes to the names it'll apply just for the one you've changed and will be able to connect to each individually.
Message 15 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

ok thanks very much for all the help everyone has given me over the past few days i will do some more testing as this was done on the night downloading games on ps4 while watching twitch. will keep you all updated but i am hoping it is finally all sorted for life.

Message 16 of 18
jebrown1979
Guide

also 1 more thing do you recommend ping assist for games the main game i play is pro evolution soccer it has its own profile but the games can be laggy so shortened it to 500 miles and ping assist to 35ms is this too high or ok

Message 17 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

No that's probably fine. If anything it's slightly too low. I usually go for 50ms but that's just personal preference.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7