× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "WLAN access rejected: incorrect security" for devices trying to connect on my 2.4GHz

ethon
Aspirant

"WLAN access rejected: incorrect security" for devices trying to connect on my 2.4GHz WiFi network

XR1000 Gaming Router
Every few days, devices on my 2.4GHz WiFi network start failing to connect giving an error "WLAN access rejected: incorrect security".  I have Roku's, Google Home's, Google Hubs, printers, etc. on this network and they all seems to do this.  The 5GHz WiFi side isn't affected.  If I go into Settings > Wireless Setup and change the channel for the 2.4GHz side and apply, my devices usually will reconnect without issue.  I have been having this issue since I bought the router a year ago and was having the the same issue on my previous router (R7000).  It is starting to get old and looking for any advise on how to resolve it.

Settings on my 2.4GHz WiFi network are:

Enable AX - is checked

Enambe OFDMA - is checked

Enable SSID Broadcase - is checked

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - is checked

Mode: Up to 600 Mbps

Transmit Power Control: 100%

Security Options: WPA2-Personal [AES}

Thank you for any assistance.

Message 1 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: "WLAN access rejected: incorrect security" for devices trying to connect on my 2.4GHz

Do any of the devices have options in their WiFi settings that randomly changes MAC addresses? If so disable that and see if they can sustain a connection.
Message 2 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

Not that I can see in any of the devices.

Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Give the devices having trouble a reserved IP address in LAN Settings, reboot the router from the interface and check
Message 4 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

That didn't have any affect.

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you reproduce the issue then get the log file from the System Information page and post it here please?
Message 6 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

Log from Systems > Monitoring > Logs.

Message 7 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

Log from System Information

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for that, do you have the router on a metal surface? Are there wireless devices within close proximity ~3 feet such as remotes, headphones etc?
Message 9 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

Not on metal surface (on wood shelf).  Within 3 feet of it is a TV and a Roku device.

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you able to move the router a little further away if possible? Also use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that.

Someone recently also had a similar issue and disabling 20/40MHz co-existence resolved that so give it a try as well
Message 11 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

I will give the two options below a try. 

What is the normal window before these discussions auto close so I can ensure it stays active while testing?

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As this is a community forum there is no time limit, whenever you respond to it we will then respond back!
Message 13 of 15
ethon
Aspirant

Well I have played around with the settings that were suggested. 

Disabling the 20/40MHz co-existence had it fail with same issue rather quickly (under 2 days).  I moved it away from electrical sources but still failed in a week.  Changing channels to odd lower numbers then higher or even numbers made it last longer 3 weeks until ultimately showing the same error.  

Currently set me 2.4Ghz network on a spare router I have (Netgear R7000).  While that doesn't alleviate the issue (this Router shows the same error in this post at pretty much the same interval), it allows me to reset without affecting my 5Ghz network.

Any other thoughts on this issue?

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How did you decide which channel to change to? We'd suggest using a Wi-Fi Analyser because you can then find which is the least congested in your area. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7