× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router login info displayed on my echo

leolaporte
Tutor

router login info displayed on my echo

Just installed the XR500, used the same loign data as my Last router from Asus so all devices could connect easily.    After getting it up and running my Echo Show has the NETGEAR Login data displayed on it, both the admin login, and the Wifi Login.  What the heck?!   How did the data from the Router get passed to the Echo Show?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not familiar with the Echo Show interface, where is it showing this information? Could you provide a picture with it blurred?
Message 2 of 15
leolaporte
Tutor

The Echo Show is a Wifi device. It attaches to the home router via wirelessly. It is like a google voice, or echo Dot, but with display. it shows things like weater, preview shows, pictures, recipes etc..    

It has no priority access, or admin priveledges ..

So this screeen popped up with my admin information and wifi access-- This should NOT happen or be allowed by the router, I have no idea how the Show had any access to information other than wifi access.

thx, Dennisxr500.jpg

Message 3 of 15
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ah - that's the initial setup tour, which it looks like you may have not completed on first setup. If you click to continue from that screen  does it then appear afterwards? You should just be on the DumaOS interface from that point forward.

You'll probably need to be on your PC/laptop to continue from that screen, so get back onto the router interface on your computer, continue from that screen until DumaOS loads, and you'll then be ok.

Message 4 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Jack for better understanding, there is a captive (Web) portal in place which does pop-in to every (Web browser) connection - as long as the initial set-up tour isn't completed?

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's correct. If you have not finished the setup wizard either new from purchase or after a factory reset then you will not have any internet until it is completed. Every attempt to browse the web will then redirect you back to the setup wizard to finish.
Message 6 of 15
leolaporte
Tutor

I performed the setup from a desktop,  you can't do it from an Echo it is only a device no data entry other than voice commands.  And I went through set up rather quickly and got the router up and running.  Had this same screen on my desktop , the next day i saw this on my echo. Apparently it appeared there and never went away until i tapped on the screen.

So like the second comment.. it came through a web portal of some sort to the echo.. Which IMO should NOT happen. very unsecure. Not sure why/how this information was fed over but makes no sense.   Thought you guys should know as it seems a breach, but now everybody in my house knows the admin/pw info.     thx. D

Message 7 of 15
leolaporte
Tutor

should be easy to replicate then

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do a factory reset by any chance between setup and the issue happening?
Message 9 of 15
leolaporte
Tutor

No.. brand new out of the box.   i pulled my AC3100 (bricked on their BIOS update), connected cables, and upstream network.  Sat down at my desk and ran the router setup.. nothing more.  once it came back up i was a happy guy!, so mad at Asus 😞   didn't even notice what was displayed on my echo until the next day, but when i saw it i thought.. odd.. that looks familair .. Ah f*#!  how did that happen. My info had been displayed openly in my living room for 12 hours.

I will keep an eye on it.. and see if it happens, or interacts with the echo again.  I don't get it.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad ASUS has recovery process for routers. 

Possible Amazon Echo issue as well. Shouldn't be displayed on any IoT devices though who knows what IoT Mfrs are doing to break into privacy. Smiley Mad

Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us updated! Not quite sure why it happened if the setup wizard had been completed successfully.
Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Commodity vs. usability vs. security. "Alexa, what is my wireless password?" resp. OK Google, ask Netgear, what is my wireless password?". 

But seriously Netduma @Netduma-Fraser  @Netduma_Jack  & Co.: What is riding you to show the admin password - no matter in plain or hidden (and in a way that it can be made visible) - on a non-authenticated captured portal Web page? This must _never_: happen. To much commodity!

Message 13 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is a Netgear feature so I'll pass that on to the team for them to take a look at.
Message 14 of 15
leolaporte
Tutor

Ah. Recovery would be great if it worked.
😞
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7