× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: slow speeds xr300

joblack85
Aspirant

slow speeds xr300

hello guys, not really a tech guy so I'm lost on what I should do to get my speed to where they need to be.  I'm on comacst 1000mbps gigabit and I have a xr300. my ps4 is only giving me 200mbps lan and wireless less then 40mbps. i have a 2 story home  and nothing wired upstairs so its even slower. any step by step tips

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

What speeds do you get directly off modem? (key as its pointless to troubleshoot a router if the modem doesn't get full speed)

What speeds do you get off a gigabit laptop/pc connected to the router?

Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you get from a wired PC? Have you set your bandwidth speeds on the router interface?
Message 3 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

the modem I have is the Xfinity xb7 combo router/modem

Message 4 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

wired I'm not getting more than 200mbps and I don't know how to set speeds on the router interface

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In QoS, in the top left of the Anti-Bufferbloat panel is a 3 line icon, click that and you can enter it there. Would recommend taking a look at these guides which includes one for getting max speeds:
http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

@joblack85 wrote:

wired I'm not getting more than 200mbps and I don't know how to set speeds on the router interface

You're getting 200mbps directly connected to the modem? Or is that from the XR300? 

And the XB7 is a modem router combo device with its own integrated qos/bandwidth management. 

do you have the xb7 in bridge mode? This disabled is own routing functions. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Message 7 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

thats directly connected to the xr300. and I do not have it in bridge mode

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

what speed do you get off the xb7 directly? 

Message 9 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

113.7 mbps when my ps4 is directly connected to xfinity xb7. And only 26.4 Download speed and 6 uploads speed when connected to XR300.
Message 10 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

Is it my internet provider as well?? Remember I’m supposed to have up to 1000mbps
Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Use a wired PC to test as it will be more accurate, see what you get directly connect to Xfinity then to XR and take a look at the max speed guide in my link.
Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

@joblack85 wrote:
113.7 mbps when my ps4 is directly connected to xfinity xb7. And only 26.4 Download speed and 6 uploads speed when connected to XR300.

the ps4 isn't a reliable tester for speeds. 

Connect a pc/laptop that is gigabit capable and try it. make sure to try speedtest . com (try several servers on there) plus fast.com, googles speed test. Reason why is many sites struggle to sature gigabit. 

Message 13 of 15
joblack85
Aspirant

speedtest.com is showing 900 mbps and fast .com is showing 200 mbps

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

@joblack85 wrote:

speedtest.com is showing 900 mbps and fast .com is showing 200 mbps

That's the problem with speedtesting. Its a good indicator but it isn't always reliable. 

Is speedtest.com consistent? if so, that's what I'd go with. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7