× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: traffic prioritization

Wyzfar
Aspirant

traffic prioritization

im prioritizing CoD: Bo4 for PS4 in the advanced tab using port 3074 udp is the source port and destination port 3074 for start and end ?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You can use the same number for both

Message 2 of 8
Wyzfar
Aspirant

Ok so I don’t have to use the source range 1:65535 ? And would there be any benefit to prioritizing the ps4 ports as well
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DumaOS Classified Games prioritizes the console automatically so there should be no need to manually add ports for any game on a console. No you don't have to, it defaults to that range to prevent people making misconfigurations. Yes there would be benefit as long as you don't prioritize downloads.
Message 4 of 8
Wyzfar
Aspirant

ok and this is a odd question but what if i prioritize ports 1-65535 TCP/UDP will it automatically prioritize the ports that are open on that ip aka my ps4 ? 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it would but it would also prioritize your downloads on the console which is not advised. The feature is meant for low bandwidth applications and it would cause other devices to lag/buffer.
Message 6 of 8
Wyzfar
Aspirant

I was told that it would be prioritizing every single port, I only ply one game on my ps4 meaning there’s not much downloading going on, I am confused if I use this port range will it be prioritizing traffic on every port or just the ports that are being used by my ps4
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Whatever is added to Traffic Prioritization is device specific except in the case where DumaOS Classified Games is enabled which will auto detect the device that needs to be prioritized. The rule you've described would prioritize every port on the console should it be used by the console, so if a download did occur on the console this would be prioritized which is not recommended. Hope that helps clear it up.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7