× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: upgrade from 500 to xr 1000

nicey1958
Guide

upgrade from 500 to xr 1000

title says it.

Is it worth it or is it just for wifi 6?

cheers

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Up to you. If you don't have any WiFi6 supporting device, may wanna wait for WiFI7. No idea when that will appear for sale. 

Message 2 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

thanks. Guess there's not much reason to then.

Geoff.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I did happen to find a used XR1000 last year on Amazon for cheap. Something you can keep an eye on. Mine works great. I think I got mine for around $100 bucks. 😁

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The upgrade would mainly be for the hardware improvements, the software itself wouldn't change too much.
Message 5 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

cheers... tbo.. i think that's what i might have been looking for..(h/w upgrade.. better perf?)... have been adding to house a lot recently... lots of 'so called smart devices.. even tho i'm not totally convinced they are that smart  '"alexa'''lol.. but anyway.... somethings felt a bit sluggish at times...  the xr500 has done its job very well in the past.. and not a problem.. but seems adding more things  maybe cause a bit of congestion???    anyways... its a new 'old thing'  i decided to play with.... and as said.. with none wifi 6 things and my age.. doubt whether ill get anything as well... plus a few more rj45 ports will be used behind the tv for sky/shield/dvd/TV plus hue and blink 🙂

cheers

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you have QoS enabled then no matter how many devices you connect it should continue to function in the same way so probably no need to upgrade really
Message 7 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

yup.. its enabled....   just seems iffy at times even on a wired connection but 99%  other times runs perfectly well. can't seem to pinpoint anything obvious   anyway.. not a lot of money spent so I'll always have a spare anyway..

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try experimenting with the Congestion Control percentages while set to Always to see what works best for you, might be that it just needs a bit of tweaking to work the best for your connection.
Message 9 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

970mbps down/120 up is my  internet connection. i adjusted bandwidth for the devices that seem to suffer buffering occasionally...   sky minibox and the shield  (both wired to upstairs -.  via  a magic 2 extender (i was thinking that might be one cause.. but its been fine in the past)  because they both suffer if I use the boxes them wireless as well. I keep trying in the meantime.

cheers

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't adjust the bandwidth, that won't get rid of the lag, its Congestion Control you'll want to change specifically. Start at 70% and experiment in increments of 10%
Message 11 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

done.

cheers

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 15
nicey1958
Guide

i'd like to update.. since putting the xr700 in place of the xr500.. my woes have disappeared..... the only thing i have noticed is less or maybe evenly distributed cpu proc?  maybe that was the issue. quad core opposed to dual?   anyway..... I'm Happy.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The XR700 HW is based off the R9000 I believe so comparatively, the 700 has more CPU power than the 500. 

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7