× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi 5g signal is low

martinv502
Initiate

wifi 5g signal is low

my wifi for 5g doesnt make it out of the room the router is in but yet i have a full 2g signal.what would be the cause of this

Message 1 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

5GHz has a faster maximum speed than 2.4GHz but a shorter range, so this kind of makes sense unfortuantely.

Message 2 of 5
martinv502
Initiate

yea its kinda wierd before i used this modem, i had the charter modem and 5g signal was greatall the way to my basement..now i have to be right next to this modem to even get a bar on 5g

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you set up the router antennas so they're pointing in optimal directions?
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Another thing to check is building materials. 5ghz can't pass through as much material. Things like hvac, adobe, concrete, foil lined insulation, plaster lathe all do great jobs blocking signals. If you've moved your router and a metal hvac (built into wall) is right next to it, it could be blocking the transmission. maybe moving the router a bit can help. 

another thing to check is speeds. You might be showing a lower connection strength but still have great speeds. 

also check multiple devices to see if its happening on all of your devices or just one. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7