× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr 500 nighthawk unusable with 2 consoles?

TheBorog
Aspirant

xr 500 nighthawk unusable with 2 consoles?

Hello all, I'm using the last of my sanity to call for any help you can provide.

I bought this router 2 days ago to connect to my virgin super hub 2ac in modem mode to hopefully fix an issue it had. Whilst playing games with my brother on the same network in this case the nintendo switch one of us would get booted from the game every 15 minutes or so.

I was hoping this router would fix this issue but unfortunatly it has amplified them. all my other devices seem to work fine however after connecting the nintendo switches to this router both of us get a download and upload speed of 2-6mbps as opposed to the 90 or so on other devices and have connected together for all of 15 seconds.

I contacted tech support and had a level 2 engineer spend 3 hours remotely accessing my router today and have spent about 8 hours or so researching fixes to no avail.

I am not tech savy and was hoping buying a gaming router would be more of a plug and play soloution to my problem, if such a thing exists any info on it or any fixes that may have worked for you would be appriciated as honestly i'm at my limit with this thing.

Also I am aware that this issue could be caused by me being an idiot but i'm just so frustrated at this point that I feel I made a huge mistake with my purchase.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the XR router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Also if you have two game consoles online at the same time, you need to set NAT Filter to OPEN. This will get you OPEN NAT across both consoles. You need only uPnP enabled as well on the router. Use not Port Fowarding configurations. 

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

Message 2 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like the issue is either on the modem or with your Switch if you had it before the Xr500 as well. 

It's likely to be a NAT issue. First of all, make sure you have put your Superhub into modem mode. You can do this in its admin panel.

Then make sure you have UPNP enabled on your XR500 (it's in the >Settings >Advanced section).

If that's still not working, I would recommend switching the ethernet cable that goes into the back of your switch. It's possible that it's faulty.

If you're connecting Wirelessly, then try changing the 2.4GHz channel on your XR500 to a different one, in case the channel you are using is especially congested. You can do this in >Settings >Wireless Setup

Good luck!

Message 3 of 8
TheBorog
Aspirant

Hi guys thanks for the responses got a bit of an update.

Ok so I went into the router/modem settings from my isp. I disabled the wireless radios manually, set a dhcp or whetever it's called resevation for the xr500 and enabled a DMZ on the reserved port.

on the xr500 I enabled upnp, turned of the smart connect and set the nat filter from secured to open.

This results in a playable experience for myself and my brother however a new issue has arisen and was hoping I could get some advice.

Basically I normally get 30ish mbps download speed when I first enable the Nintendo Switch however after I turn it back on after a few hours or so the download throttles to 2mbps - 0.5mbps this persists after reseting the console and only seems to fix when I either power cycle the whole network or change from 5ghz network to the 2.4ghz network.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with a device and if they were able to fix it as I don't really want to reset my network everyday.

Thanks for reading. 

Message 4 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear the original issue is solved!

Now for the speed issue. Are you measuring the speed through the Switch?

What happens if you speedtest through another device, like your laptop?

It would be good to isolate the problem I.e is it a switch to router issue, or a general router issue.

Regardless, I would recommend switching the wireless channels on your router. It’s possible neighbouring connections are impacting you as well.
Message 5 of 8
TheBorog
Aspirant

Hi Jack

The tests were performed using the inbuilt speed test on the system, I had hoped it was just a display issue but I am also unable to connect to gamesand the digital store until I change wirless band.

I am hoping I can find someone with a similar issue as the closest I could find was an issue with xbox one sleep mode. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect the consoles to the router with a ethernet connection and test.

Disable Instant On as well on the consoles as a test...

@TheBorog wrote:

Hi Jack

The tests were performed using the inbuilt speed test on the system, I had hoped it was just a display issue but I am also unable to connect to gamesand the digital store until I change wirless band.

I am hoping I can find someone with a similar issue as the closest I could find was an issue with xbox one sleep mode. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you follow Furry's advice please. Console tests are often reliable. You should try to test wired using a PC (and a site like speedtest.net). Let us know what happens through that please.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7