× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr1000 not limiting upload to device

Refused
Guide

xr1000 not limiting upload to device

Using a xr1000 firmware 1.0.0.64_1.0.49  windows 11

I'm having an issue with a Nanit baby monitor causing lag spikes while gaming. I've tried limiting its upload use in the QoS to 0.4 Mbps with upload share excess turned off, but it still spikes above 7Mbps.   

Message 1 of 33
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you know if you currently require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers in order to get a connection to the internet?

We have seen from a couple of other users that QoS is struggling to throttle upload when using one of the above methods for a connection.

Message 2 of 33
Refused
Guide

I’m pretty sure it’s DHCP
Message 3 of 33
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

As a test, could you set Congestion Control to 'Always', then run a third-party speed test.

Do the speed test results show upload as being throttled by Congestion Control or are they exceeding the limit?

Message 4 of 33
Refused
Guide

Speed test on wirless laptop upload 20 Mbps, on my phone 21 Mbps, wired pc 4.21 Mbps. The laptop and phone are set to 0.82 Mbps, and pc is set to 4.94 Mbps. Seems the wireless devices aren't being throttled. 

Network speeds being measured by the xr 1000 are 500 down and 22 up.

Message 5 of 33
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you know if these devices use MAC randomisation? Most Android phones and particularly Apple devices use this.

If you're using Apple devices, disable 'Private Address' from the Wi-Fi settings for the XR Wi-Fi network.

For Android devices it tends to vary so you may need to lookup how to do that.

Message 6 of 33
Refused
Guide

Yes I’ve already turned off private wifi address for the I phones. Just did it for an Apple Watch.

All speed test done yesterday were from static MAC addresses
Message 7 of 33
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know. 

Do you have any custom rules added to traffic prioritisation at all? If so, what devices are they for and what services?

Message 8 of 33
Refused
Guide

Only one custom rule, but it’s a preset option valorant for my pc
Message 9 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a parent), but if it is a monitor then is it not downloading/streaming a feed rather than uploading or does it upload externally so you can view remotely for example? Try what you did for upload for download instead and see if that makes a difference. Also have you disabled WMM in Advanced WiFi settings by any chance? If so please enable that as it's needed for QoS to work correctly.
Message 10 of 33
Refused
Guide

So the Nanit baby camera uploads to Amazon AWS EC2, AWS S3, Shopify and Stripe. Can be seen at https://status.nanit.com/ . The router shows the spikes happen when it uploads to Amazon. It allows remote viewing and next day statistics on their sleep over night… sleep period, wake periods and parents visits. Also notification on sound and motion.

Not at home at the moment, I haven’t seen an option for WMM. Will try turning off download sharing and report back.
Message 11 of 33
Refused
Guide

download speed with download share excess off
wired pc 60Mbps - set to 63
I phone 26Mbps - set to 27
wireless lap top 26Mbps - set to 27

Message 12 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Has that had any impact on your lag? If not please provide a full page screenshot of the QoS page
Message 13 of 33
Refused
Guide

No impact on my lag, still the same. Only happens on the upload of that device. Whenever it spikes on the router network monitor, it corelates with valorants network ping graph.

Message 14 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reset Bandwidth Allocation and re-enable Share Excess then change Upload Congestion Control to 60% and see if that prevents the lag
Message 15 of 33
Refused
Guide

No change, still the same spikes.

Message 16 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Were the spikes higher, lower or the same? You should be noticing some difference with that change. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and are ALL devices connected to the XR?
Message 17 of 33
Refused
Guide

Spikes were around the same, didn't seem much different. Hitron CODA 4582 Modem set in bridge mode. All devices are connected to the XR 

Message 18 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you disable bridge mode and put the XR WAN IP in its DMZ instead please and then try?
Message 19 of 33
Refused
Guide

no change 

Message 20 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did it work prior to updating and did you do a factory reset after the update? If not could you please do so, wait 2 minutes then access and see if it's working. A reset is always recommended after an update as it removes any remnants from the previous version that could cause issues.
Message 21 of 33
Refused
Guide

Had a problem ever since I had the baby monitor. Got the XR 1000 hoping the QoS would help with it, and it hasn't done anything. 
I have factory reset before during my own troubleshooting

Message 22 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What other settings have you changed, have you set the DMZ, port forwarding, Traffic Controller rules etc?
Message 23 of 33
Refused
Guide

Set up the dmz, but nothing on port forwarding or traffic controller enabled.
Message 24 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that may be why, disable the DMZ on the XR then see if you get the lag spikes still.
Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7