× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 Dos attacks What the heck....

Birdwatch
Tutor

xr500 Dos attacks What the heck....

What the hell is going on with all these Dos attacks.  I've been reading some of these links and my question is are they real or not?  If these attacks are not real then why is this happening?  This is uncalled for if they are not real.  If something real happens I want to know about just like everyone else, we live in a society that can't be trusted anymore / not safe IMOP.  I'm sick and tiered of spending hard earned money on these expensive equipment and they don't work right.  I want an explanation of what's going on please.

Here I am racking my brain and feeling threatened by these (real or not real) attacks and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like that. 

I too have a problem with Internet drop out as well. 

Bottom line I want to know what's going on.

Thank you

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: xr500 Dos attacks What the heck....

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Please post a short snippet of what your seeing in the router logs. Just a few lines. 

@Birdwatch wrote:

What the hell is going on with all these Dos attacks.  I've been reading some of these links and my question is are they real or not?  If these attacks are not real then why is this happening?  This is uncalled for if they are not real.  If something real happens I want to know about just like everyone else, we live in a society that can't be trusted anymore / not safe IMOP.  I'm sick and tiered of spending hard earned money on these expensive equipment and they don't work right.  I want an explanation of what's going on please.

Here I am racking my brain and feeling threatened by these (real or not real) attacks and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like that. 

I too have a problem with Internet drop out as well. 

Bottom line I want to know what's going on.

Thank you

Message 2 of 13
Birdwatch
Tutor

What FW is currently loaded? the latest one
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? netgear cm1000 

thanks

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a short snippet of what your seeing in the router logs. Just a few lines. 

@Birdwatch wrote:

What FW is currently loaded? the latest one
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? netgear cm1000 

thanks

Message 4 of 13
Birdwatch
Tutor

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 116.0.72.4, port 636, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:30:18

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:32:59

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:32:56

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 122.70.154.19, port 443, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 00:51:47

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 192.229.100.224, port 80, Tuesday, March 05, 2019 22:48:11

Here's a few

Message 5 of 13
Birdwatch
Tutor

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.172.32, port 5223, Tuesday, March 05, 2019 21:48:00

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.172.32, port 5223, Tuesday, March 05, 2019 21:46:45

Here's some more

Message 6 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Logs are verbose as they are primarily for developers. They are not meant for users to come up with an issue. DoS Attack entries are common on Netgear routers and do cause unnecessary panic. They appear just from browsing the internet etc, one of those IP addresses belong to Apple so I assume you either have an Apple device or went to a website of theres or something along those lines. The entries are harmless and DoS protection is enabled by default anyway if there was something sinister happening you'd be protected.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use whois.domaintools.com to see where those IP addresses are coming from. 

@Birdwatch wrote:

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 116.0.72.4, port 636, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:30:18

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:32:59

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 01:32:56

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 122.70.154.19, port 443, Wednesday, March 06, 2019 00:51:47

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 192.229.100.224, port 80, Tuesday, March 05, 2019 22:48:11

Here's a few

Message 8 of 13
Birdwatch
Tutor

Ok, thank you both for the replies.  But, this is unacceptable bottom line.  I'm sure a lot of people would agree.  If these are harmless then they need to identify it another way other than a Dos-attack.  How is regular consumer going to distinguish a real threat vs a harmless one.  I wish some other folks would chime in here.  

What about the WLan part? 

Please don't take it personal guys I do appreciate the help and answers.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to track down where the IPs are coming from and see if they are being falsely reported by the router or actual attacks by checking to see if anything on your side of the LAN is using services from any of the IPs that are showing up. 

I would also contact the ISP for additional help and information regarding this. If you think your actually being attacked. Have them change your WAN IP address to something else to see if the attacks top.

Regarding the WLAN, does this MAC belong to any of your devices? 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd

If not, then the router is just reporting someone attempted to joing your SSID and didn't get the PW right. The router is doing it's job by reporting this. 

@Birdwatch wrote:

Ok, thank you both for the replies.  But, this is unacceptable bottom line.  I'm sure a lot of people would agree.  If these are harmless then they need to identify it another way other than a Dos-attack.  How is regular consumer going to distinguish a real threat vs a harmless one.  I wish some other folks would chime in here.  

What about the WLan part? 

Please don't take it personal guys I do appreciate the help and answers.

Thanks

Message 10 of 13
Birdwatch
Tutor

(You'll need to track down where the IPs are coming from and see if they are being falsely reported by the router or actual attacks) It's the routers job take make sure it is and to report back to me if it's a real threat. IMOP

I don't have a static IP address so I can change it anytime I want. 

(I would also contact the ISP for additional help and information regarding this)  I did and they would not know. At least this is what they told me.

(Regarding the WLAN, does this MAC belong to any of your devices? 94:e9:79:94:a7:cd) It could be I'll have to check.

I think what netgear should do is implement a color code for logs in 3 different levels to differentiate between severity levels. Green normal, yellow caution, red danger need to investigate.

Thanks 

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, it would be nice to have some color indication of severity levels. They could change the text logging color. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 13
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That color coding idea is a good one. The log is very sensitive, which makes it quite disconcerting when you read it. 99.9% of the time it's nothing to worry about.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7