× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 LAN ports sometime will stop working

Keidrych
Aspirant

This doesn't resolve the issue. I have many physical computers running linux connected to the network and everything connected to LAN disconnects at the same time.

If the Xbox is turned off while the LAN drops when its turned back on it can't connect to the LAN network either

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is there anything that is performing automatic upgrades/downloads? If so that could possibly cause it as well, could disable if possible and see if that resolves it?
Message 27 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

@helpmepls321 wrote:

hi i need some help sometime my netgear nighthawk xr500 LAN ports stops working.wifi work fine not sure how to fix it. can anybody help me  

Hi. I have the exact same problem with my XR500 for the last month they have been telling people to turn off instant on for there consoles but will not release a fix. The router is the problem cause no other router from netgear has this issue. Netduma Frazer.. You shouldnt have to turn off instant on so the router can work. Come out with a fix.  Plus that doesnt fully fix it anyways. My wife called me today saying all lan ports have no connection. and its been 2 weeks of instant on being turned off but still yet today it happened again. I had to reset the router then the modem remotley in order for the console and other lan ports to have connection again.. Frazer are you guys even working on a fix?????? any progress at all yet or what??????  289.95 is a lot of money come on guys this router should be much better than this. answer me that Frazer. Like i said instant on has been off for two weeks and today all lan ports had no connection...........

Message 28 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Shaun, it sounds like it resolved your issue for awhile so there may be a wider issue that you're experiencing. Other routers from other brands experience this issue with the consoles, its not isolated to the XR500. Its not a fix its a workaround while the developers try to reproduce and fix it. I would recommend calling Netgear support so they can diagnose further as it sounds like a different issue
Message 29 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

Bought the router two days back and having the same problem from last day. Can i also have the firmware please ???

Message 30 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The firmware with the fix should be the latest firmware installed. What version are you on?
Message 31 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

I have the recent firmware installed on the router which is 2.3.2.32
Message 32 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Mine is still having the same problem as well. They recorded it and sent it to the engineers. To see if they can fix the problem. They need to come out with a new firmware for it. Also I’ve noticed it I have ipv6 turned on. My wireless Xbox one will work at first with ipv6 then out of the blue while gaming you get kicked from the party and lag for a second but then can not reconnect to the party. Until the console is reset. I went into the router settings and saw that after that happened the console said it was only connected to ipv4. This router has problems. Hopefully the next firmware will fix it.
Message 33 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

sontu, put your consoles in Energy Saving mode or turn them off fully after use. Its been found that they can affect the LAN connection so this is a workaround while Netgear work with other teams to get this resolved.

@Sean, that sounds like a coincedence. Most likely you need to add your friends to your allow list. Do you have a public IPv6 address? If not then it's pointless to have it enabled and will not improve your online connection if thats what you've heard.
Message 34 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. However it was my tv which was connected to router and my tv was turned off. But when i turn it on I didnt get any signal. I check that port by connecting it to my pc and still didnt get any signal. So i rebooted the router and it fixed it. Now i am anxious that is my unit faulty or is this just common problem in this same router model ??
Message 35 of 242
Keidrych
Aspirant

Hi All,

As the help I have recieved to date from the the community is less than beneficial. In Summary:

• Switch XBox into Power Saving Mode (So it actually turns off each night)
  • Turn off Windows Automatic Updates

Basically don't use anything that expects to have a IP allocated for the duration of its execution or expect to be able to renew the DHCP lease.

Neither of these services actually interfere with the low level IP Stack networking layers necessary for Physical Port Routing / Switching

Its pretty clear that DumaOS has no idea what is causing the problem, and is quite happy to continue selling units via NetGear until they eventually remove the LAN ports.

Lets be clear, Hardware wise, LAN ports should never disconnect, and seeing that they are disconnecting every 24 hours it would point to faults in the DHCP service which auto renews leases every 24 hours, again inexcusable for the primary entry point to have instability. This issue has been outstanding for months at this time of writing so don't expect it to be fixed as part of the XR500 lifecycle.

I contacted NetGear directly and after explaining the issue and pointing them to this thread they were well aware of the problems, but advised that this is solely the responsibility of DumaOS to resolve. They also advised returning the router to the store and downgrading to the NightHawk R8000 as its made and supported entirely by NetGear. I would advise everyone else having issues with Ports disconnecting to do the same and swap to a router that works until this thread can be marked resolved. Unless your happy to manually reboot your router every 24 hours....

Message 36 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you please provide the Case ID you raised with NETGEAR so we can investigate this advice? The low level, hardware side of things are all handled by NETGEAR, not DumaOS, so you have been misinformed. 

The latest firmware NETGEAR released fixed this problem for the vast majority of people. If you're still having issues, looking into a hardware replacement is wise idea as there could be a general hardware fault.

Message 37 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

My case id is : 40610450
Message 38 of 242
MrEric
Guide

Hi all.

Just recieved my brand new XR500 a few days ago and discovered the exact same problem with LAN droping after a few hours (6 to 24h max it seems). I've got my Xbox One X connected through Lan. As I'm an insider in skip alpha ahead, turning the console on eco mode (completely off) is clearly not a solution I want to use as I can have 2 to 3 system update a week (I would spend more time updating than playing). I've got the latest firmware 2.3.2.32 installed and the problems started almost immediately after the first configuration.

I hope a solution is under its way and even enrolled in the open beta test if by any miracle a fix is tested...

Quick question for those who might have tested it : if I connect through wifi instead of wired (not the best solution but for me at least still better than turning the console completely off), is everything working fine or will the wifi drop exactly like the LAN ?

Thanks

Message 39 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Eric - NETGEAR have a new beta firmware which should hopefully fix your problem. I will PM it to you now.

Message 40 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi MrEric, I've sent you a PM with the beta firmware. Please let me know if this resolves the issue.
Message 41 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

Guys, i talked to technical support about this problem and they helped me to flush my router with the most recent firmware and after that for the last two days i am not having this problem again. So what I did was update my firmware manually and then factory reset it. I ll let you guys know if I have this problem again.

Message 42 of 242
MrEric
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser

Thanks. PM received. I'm going to test it during the week end and will let you know 😉
Message 43 of 242
MrEric
Guide

Hi all,

unfortunately the beta firmware didn't solve anything. I still drop all LAN connections after 6 to 24h with the xbox in quick start mode.

What's the exact process for a full cleanup of the XR500 ? I think that might be the only solution left...

Message 44 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Best bet is to do a factory reset, its a good idea anyway to ensure no legacy issues from the previous firmware which may be what you're experiencing.
Message 45 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

i had the same issue as well i installed the new firmware update factory reset the router afterwards. set up my xbox in the geo field and also in the qos turned on instant on for my xbox one x, played that whole night which was friday. woke up saturday morning and turned the console on to find no internet connection. looked at the router saw the light was amber like always pressed the power off botton at the back of the router then pushed it again to turn it back on. left my console on the entire time and once the router was up and running again bam xbox had internet connection so this firmware beta update did not fix the issue and i did do a factory reset after the router completed the new firmware beta update. one thing that it did fix was the problem when if the lan ports are inop and you go to reset the router after it boots up you have to reset the modem. after i reset the router the internet light came right on where normally i have to reset the modem after the router is booted up. ps this router is awesome when it works. played black ops 4 all night set my geo field up to connected to a very close server where i was getting a ping as low as 19ms. and i was kicking ass already have a 3.25 kd. i really like this router just hate these small issues. wifi calling isnt the best and the lan ports dropping and not being able to use instant on. which that also sucks cause it nice when instant on is on because it also updates your console and games while the console is off..

Message 46 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

@sontu09 wrote:

Guys, i talked to technical support about this problem and they helped me to flush my router with the most recent firmware and after that for the last two days i am not having this problem again. So what I did was update my firmware manually and then factory reset it. I ll let you guys know if I have this problem again.

sontue09. have you had any problems yet? And did you turn instant on for your console back on?

Message 47 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for the feedback I will pass this on to the team.
Message 48 of 242
sontu09
Tutor

I am having this problem again from last night. I changed the idle time of my tv from 24 hours to 2 hours so that it completely turns off just like hard shutdown of any console. I also uploaded the log file to my case ...i am waiting for the reply from netgear technical support on this
Message 49 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi @sontu09 - are you on the beta firmware to fix this?

Message 50 of 242
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7