× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 LAN ports sometime will stop working

jammin2011
Aspirant

can I get this firmware please having the same issue

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 101 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 102 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Can you send me one also?
Message 103 of 242
MrEric
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser

Yes,

Instant On enabled + LAN = KO

Instant On enabled + WIFI = OK

Instant On disabled + LAN => I didn't try because this is clearly not a solution I want to use. I will give a try as we are entering the low season for Preview Program and there should be less updates during december.

Just saw something in the Preview Program reddit about some problems for updating the console may happen if you have a PiHole and some weird DNS settings. It happens that I've got a RPi (not a PiHole) on my LAN and I'm also using the Google DNS. I will try to have the Xbox alone on the LAN, with instant On enabled and just see what happens with and without the Google DNS. You never know... But I would be extremely surprised if this is some kind of incompatibility with another device or DNS as everything was working as intended with my previous Asus router.

Message 104 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@MrEric - thanks for the update. Let us know how you get on, would be amazingly helpful if you could narrow down where the cause is

@Seanabong2200 - I will message you now.

Message 105 of 242
mebaby333
Tutor

I am having the same issue also.. Soft reboot and still network ports show connected but DHCP does had out addresses.  Wireless works fine and no issues.  What firmware should i try?  I am currently running below.

Firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.32

Thanks,
Dave

Message 106 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM mebaby with firmware to try
Message 107 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Geo field is not working since I have applied this update that you pm me to my router. Nothing shows up anymore at all in the field.
Message 108 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Quit the game to dashboard, delete device from the Geo-Filter then add it back and set up the Geo-Filter how you want. Flush the cloud then wait 2 minutes and boot the game up again, do you see things appearing on the map then?
Message 109 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Nope still not showing anything at all in the field.
Message 110 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you zoom out of the map please, do you see anything at all outside the radius?
Message 111 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

There wasn’t anything at all. I downloaded the one you sent me a month ago and now it is working. I attached a picture. Looks like it is the same one though that you just sent.
Message 112 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great to hear its working now!
Message 113 of 242
garylewis8
Tutor

I just wanted to post an update on my case here. The router has been up for 7 days now and I haven't had another re-occurance of this problem. I had the wired ports stop working twice in the first 24 hours so hopefully something has made a difference and I'm not just getting lucky. The only changes I've done are:

1) Reserved an IP for my PC in the router. The PC is still set to use DHCP though.

2) I had another wireless access point (different brand and in access point mode) on a wired port that I turned off. Fortunately the wifi on the XR500 has much better coverage so I don't need a second access point anyway. I just wanted to simplify the setup.

For others that are having this problem I'd be interested to know how often it occurs. I don't quite feel like I can declare victory yet and I don't want this to start happening again just after my 30-day return window has passed.

Message 114 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share this info Gary. Hopefully this will help other users.

Message 115 of 242
ToolshedXB
Aspirant

Hi,

Im also having issues with my wired devices not being able to connect after a while, but wireless works fine

firmware V2.3.2.32

Message 116 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you have an Xbox One? There is a known issue with Instant On Mode - it is affecting a small amount of users. If you disable Instant ON mode it should work fine.

Message 117 of 242
ToolshedXB
Aspirant

I do have xbox one.

Would this affect all wired ports?

Message 118 of 242
jammin2011
Aspirant

The the PM you sent worked for a few days but now the same thing keeps happening
Message 119 of 242
MrEric
Guide

Well I tried everything, even removing the UPNP, and still the Lan drops after a few hours when the xbox is on instant on mode. I think I will need to live with the Wifi only for the xbox. I was scared about the results with BFV, but everything seems OK on wifi, so at least I can live with it 🙂

Message 120 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@ToolshedXB - I think it may cause the wired ports to drop out. Simplest solution is to take your Xbox off Instant On Mode

@jammin2011 - sorry to hear that. Have you raised a support ticket with NETGEAR? Do you own an Xbox One? Can you try turning off Instant On Mode and see if that solves your problem. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@MrEric - glad you found a workaround. 

Message 121 of 242
thenobleone62
Aspirant

I am having the issue of my LAN ports not working at all. Can I get a firmware download please??

Message 122 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Well this morning I went to turn my Xbox one on to find no connection. Restart the router and now it is working. So this most recent firmware update did not fix the issue.
Message 123 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Seanabong2200 Have you disabled Instant On mode on your Xbox? This issue has not been resolved yet (Microsoft and NETGEAR are looking into it)

@thenobleone62 - I'll PM you the firmware now.

Message 124 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

No its been on I won’t disable I just reset the router. I don’t like that my games don’t get updated while the console is off. I like to spend my time I can play Xbox playing the games without waiting on updates. Too bad this 300.00 router can’t work good enough so I don’t have to restart every other day. For the last 3 months. Since I’ve bought it. Netgear just sent me another new one last Friday. and they didn’t want me to reset my old one and I had to give him my router login so they can send the router to the engineers. But the one I got just last week is doing the same thing. Today was its first time. Dropping all the lan ports until I reset it. I even leave the Xbox one on. When it doesn’t have connection. And restart the router and after the router bolts up. Bam. I have internet again. And everything goes back to normal.
Message 125 of 242
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7