× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 LAN ports sometime will stop working

Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

Helly my modem is a netgear CM700. I hace tried about a dozen different ethernet cables. If I, for example, connect my ps3 via ethernet to my NG XR500 it connects to the internet. But if I have it go though my 8 port switch (trendnet), it only shows up on the network map as offline, along with all other devices connected to that 8 port switch. 

I have tried different cables to and form my 8 port switch t the NG XR500, and nothig seems to work. Also I am still testing, but it seems that the lights are not indicating when I connect an ethernet cable into lan ports 3 & 4.

I have spent hours fighting with this. Any assistance would be appreciated

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 176 of 242
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

Can anyone provide some assistance? I returned the first unit back to Best buy yesterday afternoon, explained the issue and was given their last unit in stock. Well guess what, same problem. Unless I can get a solution in the next 2-3 hours I'll be returning this second unit back to Best buy and buying a different brand. I would like to get this "mystery firmware, that is supposedly resolving this issue for people. FYI I have tried 4 different released firmwares on this second unit. Mostly the last four firmwares released. Any assistance.
Message 177 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the model# of this TrendNet switch? 

If the game console is working when directly connected to the XR router and not thru this switch, this switch maybe your problem. I would try a different switch, i.e. NG GS 105/108 series or a D-Link DGS-105/108 series switch. These are Non managed, Non Smart and Non Green Ethernet switches. 

@Ozzmanj1 wrote:

Helly my modem is a netgear CM700. I hace tried about a dozen different ethernet cables. If I, for example, connect my ps3 via ethernet to my NG XR500 it connects to the internet. But if I have it go though my 8 port switch (trendnet), it only shows up on the network map as offline, along with all other devices connected to that 8 port switch. 

I have tried different cables to and form my 8 port switch t the NG XR500, and nothig seems to work. Also I am still testing, but it seems that the lights are not indicating when I connect an ethernet cable into lan ports 3 & 4.

I have spent hours fighting with this. Any assistance would be appreciated

Message 178 of 242
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

It is not the switch that is the issue. It is the lan port on the XR500.  Nothing connects when hardwired in. Neither my laptop, xbox, ps3/4, etc.  Wireless works no issues, but nothing works when hardwired in. This is whether it is directly connected to the lan ports on the router or through a switch. My old wireless router died yesterday, ASUS, and everything was fine. I am already on my second XR500 since mid yesterday. Unless there is a firmware issue, which I have tried multiple firmwares to no avail, I will be returning this router today.

Message 179 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

So your statement is incorrect? 

" If I, for example, connect my ps3 via ethernet to my NG XR500 it connects to the internet. But if I have it go though my 8 port switch (trendnet), it only shows up on the network map as offline, along with all other devices connected to that 8 port switch."

@Ozzmanj1 wrote:

It is not the switch that is the issue. It is the lan port on the XR500.  Nothing connects when hardwired in. Neither my laptop, xbox, ps3/4, etc.  Wireless works no issues, but nothing works when hardwired in. This is whether it is directly connected to the lan ports on the router or through a switch. My old wireless router died yesterday, ASUS, and everything was fine. I am already on my second XR500 since mid yesterday. Unless there is a firmware issue, which I have tried multiple firmwares to no avail, I will be returning this router today.

Message 180 of 242
mebaby333
Tutor

Everyone,

Call in and ask for this version of code, and it DOES fix the LAN Port issues.  V2.3.2.26...   Not sure if they are going to fix in future releases but i can confirm this one does work.

Thanks,
Dave

Message 181 of 242
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

No, to make it short, nothing works when connected to the lan ports on the XR500. No computer, or game console, nothing works. Wifi only is working

Message 182 of 242
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

I appreciate you providing the firmware version. Any chance you can PM me the link for this firmware? I have already been on the phone with NG twice since yesterday

Message 183 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support as mentioned and see if v2.3.2.26 FW fixes this for you as @mebaby333 mentioned...

@Ozzmanj1 wrote:

No, to make it short, nothing works when connected to the lan ports on the XR500. No computer, or game console, nothing works. Wifi only is working

Message 184 of 242
mebaby333
Tutor

I Do Not have the link for the firmware... I also signed a non-disclouser agreement so you will have to call in..  Sorry but at least this will fix the issue..

Message 185 of 242
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

Called NG support, told this was a hardware issue and no software will fix this. I will be returning it to BB within the hour and going with a different brand. Extremely disappointed with NG and this product. Always had great hardware in the past, guess it is time for a different brand to move on to.

Message 186 of 242
mebaby333
Tutor

I had an RMA also, and it DID NOT fix the issue.  Only the code i posted earlier fixed this issue.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 187 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try to open a support ticket to see if you can get the beta code:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Ozzmanj1 wrote:

Called NG support, told this was a hardware issue and no software will fix this. I will be returning it to BB within the hour and going with a different brand. Extremely disappointed with NG and this product. Always had great hardware in the past, guess it is time for a different brand to move on to.

Message 188 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

I am also having this issue, It's happened twice in the last week

currently only one of my LAN devices is showing as connected, even though it connects to the nighthawk via a cisco 2960, the 2960 is not showing, neither are the other machines connected via the cisco (all the machines have DHCP reserved addresses). My Xbox One S, connected directly to the nighthawk is also not getting a connection (i have rebooted both the Xbox and the router, but no luck)

Could i have a copy of the firmware that has been sent to some users? I'm currently running V2.3.2.40

Regards

Paul

Message 189 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Paul - that's the latest firware (as far as I am aware). Might be worth trying a factory reset to see if that clears the issue. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 190 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

This seems to be a on-going problem, ive had this router for 2 weeks. Never had any problems with negear before, always recommend to my customers to purchase these. It looks like netgear isnt doing anything special to resolve this issue. My firmware is up to date. i have been resetting this on a day to day and sometimes 2x a day basis. Which is Ridiculous for a 300$ router. This post started 8 months ago.. thats a pretty long wait to have this issue resolved. Calling in doesnt see to get me anywhere, Try this and that and blah.. Its clearly not a hardware issue, it is definately a software problem. Please come up with a fix.

Message 191 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

Thanks Jack, I'll do another factory reset ( I seem to do a lot of those since i got the XR500! - Not your fault i know!)
last night a normal reboot seemed to do the trick

It does seem to be a fairly common problem though, is it being investigated at all?

This issue has occured again this morning
weirdly IPV6 seems ok

Pinging Server2016 [192.168.0.6] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 192.168.0.18: Destination host unreachable.

Pinging Server2016 [fe80::3b59:ebe0:f2c6%17] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from fe80::3b59:ebe0:f2c6%17: time<1ms

The Server in question has been on for days. My Xbox, however was turned off overnight, and this morning, cannot get an IP4 address (I've tried reserving and adding a static addres

a standard reboot of the router, and it goes away.... for a bit...

I've only had the router 14 days and think i've had maybe 3 days where it worked without having to be rebooted or reset. Is it worth me getting it exchanged for a new one or is the replacement likely to have the same issues?

Cheers!

Paul

Message 192 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

Just spent almost 1 and a half, trying to talk to someone... I keep get moved from department to department. Clearly no one knows what is actually going on with this. I guess its time to send it back. Never thought i would have been let down so much by netgear. Back to cisco it is. 

Message 193 of 242
ep2015
Apprentice

This is still ongoing and it has caused some extreme frustration as my connected devices are critical (home security, voip, home server, etc.).

Why has this been taking so long to fix?
Message 194 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This has been a hard issue to reproduce in the lab and is being investigated by multiple teams, not just Netgear. They are taking it seriously and will hopefully have a firmware soon to resolve it. To remind you, some of the known workarounds that work are turning off consoles completely (not leaving in rest/instant on modes) and putting a switch between the router and your wired devices.
Message 195 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

i have tried to turn my devices off. that did not make any differnce. Is there any info you can recieve from the community to try and help narrow it down.. this happens to me every single day. i also have a 48 port unmannaged netgear switch between all my wired devices, still has not made a differnce. Is there any other current work arounds ? 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 196 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think they probably have all the information by now but if you create a ticket with Netgear they may be able to give you other suggestions or request any further information they might need. Only other workaround I could think of is disable automatic updates and do them manually instead
Message 197 of 242
DalDestructo
Aspirant

Can I please also have a copy of the firmware? Bought a router a day ago, and it won't recognise neither my Xbox nor my pc
Message 198 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the PC and xbox wired or wireless? 

@DalDestructo wrote:
Can I please also have a copy of the firmware? Bought a router a day ago, and it won't recognise neither my Xbox nor my pc

Message 199 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Does anyone know if i can turn instant on back on for my xbox one X without having to worry about it loosing connection? or does my router still suck?

Message 200 of 242
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7