× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 LAN ports sometime will stop working

Robbbert22
Aspirant

Your router still sucks. I spent hours on the phone. NETGEAR said they have never heard of this problem. I was told to send it in for repairs... i told them i bought it from best buy, and that i will exhange it right then and there tomorrow, then call netgears engineers back.. clearly this is not a priority on one of their most expensive residential routers.
Message 201 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Thats funny.. They have sent me three differnt routers and still can not figure it out. What the best part is that they keep coming out with this new and improved firmware which doesnt fix anything at all. Ive been using netgear for a long time but i cant believe what trash the xr500 is. Then they decide hey that router didnt work so lets make a xr700.. Yeah bro great idea screw everyone who has the xr500. That exactly what they said in the meeting when they started designing the xr700.Money hungry assholes that dont care about thier customers

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 202 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

I bought this router 4 weeks ago. I upgraded internet. Figued id go almost balls out for the router. Im not sure if i want to get the xr700 just to avoid these problems. Thats another 200, or maybe call them have them upgrade that one for 50 bucks or something since these problems have been out for over a year. Need to determine what to do soon. I have to restart my router everyday.. netgear has really let me down on this one
Message 203 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the PC and xbox wired or wireless? 

@DalDestructo wrote:
Can I please also have a copy of the firmware? Bought a router a day ago, and it won't recognise neither my Xbox nor my pc

XR 500 info:
Firmware Version V2.3.2.40
DumaOS Name A7Legit

ISP modem is a Virgin SuperHub 3.0

Message 204 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

Instant ON is a MS issue, not NG. 

Message 205 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

ah i was just replying with my firmware etc, didn't realise your reply was to someone else (i just read the email update and didn't actually check the thread!)

Message 206 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

@PieCaptain wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

XR 500 info:

DumaOS Name A7Legit

Is your modem in bridge mode or router mode? 

What LAN devices do you have connected to the router? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Set the Default DHCP IP address pool from 192.168.1.1/.254 to 192.168.1.100 to .200.

Try this. Ensure that your using reserved IP addresses for chosen devices ON the router. Ensure that when using Static IP address ON devices that these IP addresses are outside of the default DHCP IP address pool set on the router. 

If this fails try downgrading FW to v2.3.2.22

Message 207 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

This only effects the xr500, also my xbox is disconnected. Only thing connected is the computer.... still needs to be rebooted
Message 208 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the DCHP Ip address suggestion.

@Robbbert22 wrote:
This only effects the xr500, also my xbox is disconnected. Only thing connected is the computer.... still needs to be rebooted

Message 209 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

No it is not a microsoft issue you are incorrect. no other router ive ever own has this problem.. and to prove its not a ms issue i reconnected my r7000 and i had instant on mode turned on and never had it disconnect 6 days of using it. reconnected my xr500 and it happened within 1 day the very next morning all lan ports shut off until i restarted the router. that is stupid you would say it a ms issue. plus your telling me netgear routers suck so bad that even if ms was the problem it would shut down all lan ports on the router.  come on mcfly give more proof to that bs statement

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Instant ON is a MS issue, not NG. 

Message 210 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Other routers do experience the issue, not all of course but someone linked to it in this topic or another on the same matter. That's why there are multiple teams working on it including the Xbox teams. I appreciate that it's frustrating but they're working hard to get it sorted.
Message 211 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

This is taking extremly long to the point that it seems they are sdaying they are working on it but truely they are not

Message 212 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

My dhcp is 192.168.1.100-254 i prefer that over factory (old linksys fan)
Message 213 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

Which ones? I have 7 differnt routers sitting in my room. Not one had this issue. My last nighthawk has not had this problem either. Clearly NG is not working on it when all i get is, "this is the first time we are hearing of this problem". Its over a year, and nothing. By the time this is working. The router will be unsupported and obsolete.
Message 214 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've asked the team for an update on the issue and will let you guys know once I have some information
Message 215 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

Very much appreciated
Message 216 of 242
DalDestructo
Aspirant

@PieCaptain wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the PC and xbox wired or wireless? 

@DalDestructo wrote:
Can I please also have a copy of the firmware? Bought a router a day ago, and it won't recognise neither my Xbox nor my pc

The PC and XBOX are both wired, but it doesnt recognize either of them when I view the network map on a different pc through wifi

Message 217 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Dal check the IP on the devices themselves and then match them with the devices showing in the device manager, they may have been named differently
Message 218 of 242
DalDestructo
Aspirant

They dont show up in the device manager cause theyre not recognized by the router at all, even though both my xbox and my pc detect the router, im unable to access the router homepage (routerlogin.net) on either of them through ethernet.

I tried updating to v.2.3.2.40 and factory reset to no avail, Ive now downgraded to v.2.3.2.22 but it still wont detect any devices through Lan

Message 219 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@PieCaptain wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

XR 500 info:

DumaOS Name A7Legit

It's in "Modem Mode" so no wifi, only one working ethernet port

SO, directly plugged into the XR500 is my xbox, my Amp, a powerline adaptor and a Cisco 2960.
The Cisco then has 3 HP Microservers connected to it.

Currently the 3 Microservers and Xbox have reserved IP addresses, but they are all in the scope, so i'll try changeing the scope

Message 220 of 242
FURRYe38
Guru

Might downgrade the FW as well. 

@PieCaptain wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@PieCaptain wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

XR 500 info:

DumaOS Name A7Legit

It's in "Modem Mode" so no wifi, only one working ethernet port

SO, directly plugged into the XR500 is my xbox, my Amp, a powerline adaptor and a Cisco 2960.
The Cisco then has 3 HP Microservers connected to it.

Currently the 3 Microservers and Xbox have reserved IP addresses, but they are all in the scope, so i'll try changeing the scope

Message 221 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really strange, could you provide a screenshot of your device manager please?
Message 222 of 242
Robbbert22
Aspirant

so i picked up a replacement router.. this time it did not come with the latest firmware... the firmware preloaded was V2.1.0.6

So far its been over 24 hours, and nothing has disconnected.. this time around i started like i did before, Xbox 1 connected with instant on. P.c connected.. and 3rd port a 48 port netgear switch... all seems ok soo far.

Message 223 of 242
PieCaptain
Guide

Had the issue again this morning (It's not quite daily)

Weirdly a couple of LAN devices showed up in Device manager, my cisco switch with it's correct IP address (but could not ping it)
And my work laptop, but that showed an APIPA address

Netgear.png

So i changed the DCHP scope and reserved an IP address, renewing the IP gave this error

"An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

So i tried statically assigning an address, but still couldnt ping the router.
rebooting the router and all is ok again
WIll try the firmware downgrade and report back

Message 224 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Robbbert, auto firmware upgrade is enabled by default so you may find it updates to the latest version and you encounter the issue again, just something to be aware of but glad you're not experiencing the issue now.

That's interesting Pie, not seen that before, please could you keep an eye on that if it happens again and let us know?
Message 225 of 242
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7