× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 RIP? Where is the SPI and NAT? Borrowed Linksys Gui? No SSH/Telnet?

xr500 RIP? Where is the SPI and NAT? Borrowed Linksys Gui? No SSH/Telnet?

Hi,

So I purchased this XR500 based on the understanding that there was NAT support and SPI built into the firewall but I can't seem to find any configuration option other than old school vulnerability based RIP protocol?

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-nighthawk-pro-gaming-xr500-wireless-router-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-de...

I am a bit surprised at how different the feature set is from what's offered on your R1 router and also the striking resembalance in the GUI as well as feature sets, page layout etc., is to the stock linksys firmware. I am a bit taken a back at by how crude this router feature set is for how it's marketed, the fact core marketed features are missing or simply not there and the almost outright "borrowing" of the Linksys Gui down to text itself.

Also, I can't SSH or Telnet into the router?

J

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So I purchased this XR500 based on the understanding that there was NAT support and SPI built into the firewall but I can't seem to find any configuration option other than old school vulnerability based RIP protocol?

What configuration options were you expecting for NAT & SPI? It mentions them as features but that doesn't automatically mean you're able to configure everything to do with it. NAT Filtering is available in WAN Setup.

I am a bit surprised at how different the feature set is from what's offered on your R1 router and also the striking resembalance in the GUI as well as feature sets, page layout etc., is to the stock linksys firmware.

I'm not sure what you mean considering there is vastly more offered on DumaOS currently than the R1. VPN Hybrid will be included in one of the next upgrades. Were you an R1 user?

DumaOS is a completely new operating system, technologically far more advanced than any other router software. The UI is unlike any other e.g. pinnable panels. We're very proud of our UI and it has a lot of unique features.

I am a bit taken a back at by how crude this router feature set is for how it's marketed, the fact core marketed features are missing or simply not there

What features are missing? All features that have been marketed are available and there is lots more on the way.

Also, I can't SSH or Telnet into the router?

Telnet is possible but there is no reason a normal user would need this. What are you trying to achieve with Telnet?

Message 2 of 8

Hello,

First, please understand that these are constructive and not destructive observations. If I missed something, I apologize but the GUI isn't exactly the most intuitive of GUI's. For example, the three bar buttons aren't, to me not exactly clear it's interactive and that it's needed for core router functions. This is very true with the QOS menu where it was only by accident I found that these provided menu functionality, and for the extremely important bandwidth setting. I had spent awhile trying to set the sliders not realizing, that it was to be set there and then set in the slider area. I could not figure out why it wouldn't let me set the calculated mbps manually that I was trying to enter.

It also wasn't clear that the would require a separate subscription to a in VPN service, in retrospect that should be obvious but it's not as I clearly am indicative of as a user. Moreover, the fact we can't specificy another VPN provider at the router level when the router is using a variant of OpenVPN demonstrates that HideMyAss is hardcoded in your compiling. OpenVPN is very flexible and configurable at the router level so to have a hardcoded provider is in poor taste. I am surprised to see that in a finalized public build.

I am familiar with the typical Netgear GUI, Linksys, DD-WRT and Tomato GUI's, and this has elements that are wholly unique from a functional aspect, like the unique menu buttons, I would argue this is the one element that needs to be cleaned up or needs to go. I do applaud you on the detailed information in the help buttons. It very clearly and concisely explains different aspects. The help button functionality isn't consistent across the router portal, however. I think it would be very valuable to expand that to every page.

Your "applet" functionality is very cool though as a concept and I hope you plan to expand on your offerings in that area. I would love to see an applet store that expands on the functionality of the router. I would be glad to pay for various applets that could be easily snapped in and configured.

Lastly, as for telnet/ssh, why, because the underlying OS is an GPL/Opensource operating system. I the underlyiing OS is based off OpenWRT. I would like to be able to know if something is outdated, how outdated it is and also have the option of running a different firmware. This is an R7800 at it's core and I know from the HTML source things are being pulled from GPL.

It is also my router and as the FCC vs. TP-Link ruling in federal court went, an end user has the right to run the firmware of their choice on the router. I do own the hardware and would like to run LEDE or DD-WRT, or at least have that option. I also would like to tune the OS to my own needs and not necessarily to that of compilation.

I appreciate your work, I do. I also see and as you stated yourself in numerous posts on here "it's coming" to X or Y feature. That's great when it gets here. Until then, I don't want to be a beta tester unless I am explictly going to be asked to be a beta tester when can utilize an OS that is fully featured as a stopgap. I also am not a fan of cloak and dagger. The only way to truly know what's going on within my router or with my router is to SSH into it.

I am sure, as a developer and enthusiast like myself that you can understand.

J

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for your feedback.

The 3 bar buttons are commonly used by Google & mobile apps/websites to indicate there are more options available, that's why we used it.

Usually in marketing the product will say '& comes with 30day VPN subscription trial'' or something along those lines but I get your point.

Our VPN solution will be available shortly and will allow other providers.

We haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg in terms of R-Apps, we think you'll be impressed.

Message 4 of 8

Any hints as to what is to come in terms of the r-apps? I would love to personally see something along the lines of a true firewall and IPS coupled with something like Squid caching. I would absolutely pay for this type of package. Every soho router uses dnsmasq and sure, this works, but it’s not really utilizing the full potential of the router. This would be fantastic coupled with an EXT2 or 4 drive. 

Another suggestion would be a more robust set of firewall rules and port blocking that we could purchase as well as import easily from you. Think ublock origin, disconnect and a solid set of lists updated regularly. I definitely feel like I do not have a very granular set of controls over the firewall and, my opinion, is it felt very open out of the box with IPSec and such being permitted along with UPNP being enabled by default. I understand that might make things easier to a degree but it also is exposing the network to the entire world in as well as our. This is also why I was very harsh on the inclusion of and use of RIP by the router. Netgear has made that very confusing is it on or off? It definitely is one that should be retired.

May I ask what QOS codec you are using or is that proprietary information? It would be great to see the something like cake thrown in with your usual asssortment. I also am assuming as a congestion algo you are using the standard cubic. Perhaps, implementing something modern  like BBR would definitely have benefits for the gaming user base.

I know I am writing a lot but there is a lot of potential here and if I can stimulate an idea in any way, then I hope to try to give back. A last set of questions: if I enable telnet will that be enabled just for the internal network or will the port be open on both sides (it might be a good idea to implement drop bear so an sshd is present). Secondly, are their special credentials or am I just logging in with what I setup now. (I am off network so I can’t test it right now)-

I thank you for your time.

J

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's all under wraps at the moment so not giving away and teases right now. Great suggestions I will pass them on to the team.

QoS is proprietary yes. It's also using hardware acceleration, so we don't need to account for software jitter with algorithms.

I haven't checked that personally & there's no special credentials.
Message 6 of 8
logikzz
Aspirant

gotta waken this dead thread because he has a point.  I didnt expect to pay 500$ for a playschool router.  The geofiltering only works in games, the logging is about 3kb worth of data (i get 100000 emails aday cuz it sends one everytime the log fills up).  It can track overall data, but it cannot attribute it to specific devices.

You see, this functionality usually comes at the cost of around 50$.  You maybe should release one or two of those 'R-apps' that the iceberg hasnt been tipped on.  Coz im about to put this back in the box it came in, and get myself another asus or buffalo router.  I dont see why there is a need to spoon feed out these modules.  We already paid a huge premium to get this router.

On second thought, nevermind, after reading a thread response by one of the devs hinting that you can get telnet on the thing, but not revealing how, this thing is going back from whence it came.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router is about half that price so not sure what router you're talking about. Yes the Geo-Filtering is for games, thats how it's always been marketed. If your interested in applying this to something else I'd love to hear your thoughts, always open to suggestions! For emails I'd suggest you change the frequency to cut the amount of emails received.

Not sure what functionality you're referring to, if you want to filter other things then content filtering has what you need. All the features you've mentioned so far are present. We are working on more R-Apps right now.

If you want the best gaming experience then I would suggest you keep the router but thats up to you, all of your gripes have answers and it will only get better from here.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7