× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 beta DUMAOS 3.0

Raf1212
Apprentice

xr500 beta DUMAOS 3.0

hello everyone, I have a question where the beta version 3.0, the big announcement was 02.06, still nothing, a week passed, many people are waiting for it because xr500 is not working well, it is very frustrating that you paid 300 euros for a router that has basic errors, how much time will have to wait

Message 1 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will be coming very soon, we'll start with a small group and gradually expand the group of testers as time goes on. If you've signed up then all you need to do is wait for an email.
Message 2 of 155
Raf1212
Apprentice

I think you are calming down, because the netgear team has their testers and it seems to me that a normal user will not get the beta version, and netduma will probably be testing for R1, so that's why I ask how long it will take,and besides, somehow I don't trust them after my case was dealt with in the customer service, I heard about it because I wrote on the netduma forum

Message 3 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Normal users will get the beta, that's why the sign up is available. Netgear don't usually do betas like this but we've worked with them to allow people to test it as we would do normally for the R1.
Message 4 of 155
z0nk
Star

Indeed, pay 300€ for router that has really good hardware that cannot be fully used makes me angry. There are security gaps (official firmware still base on openwrt 12.10, I hope that new beta will base at least of 19.07 and will have new ath10k driver). Also limiting VPN providers into 2 is misconception. I'm clean openwrt user for about 10 years and one of driver for me to purchase device was that it was based on openwrt and I will be able to do something more with it.

I also sign up for beta to help resolve issues that are crucial for me.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 155
Raf1212
Apprentice

@z0nk you're right in your statement, I'm not as advanced in knowledge as you are, but it sounds good

Message 6 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@z0nk you can use any VPN you like, you will just need to input their OpenVPN configs.
Message 7 of 155
z0nk
Star

yes, it still 1 config only for OpenVPN . No option to prepare zip file with proper structure that allows to select country for provider (like buildin one). Also no option to have PPTP vpn, strongswan and setup server/client for wireguard. there are much more things expect vpn like missing 6to4 or 6in4 IPv6 provider, autobackup scripts, timemachine support, no bonding,load balacing etc... Also I cannot set network name with unicode chars by DumaOS limitation. when login via telnet and set like below it's working fine, until reboot, after that old settings are restored.

# uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid="$(echo -e 'DumaOS is the best \xf0\x9f\x98\x8d')"
# uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].ssid="$(echo -e '5G DumaOS is the best \xf0\x9f\x98\x8d')"
# uci commit
# wifi

I can also switch to official openwrt branch, howver then I lost my warranty and mostly important some firmware is property of netgear and deliver some hardware functions that opensource driver doesn't provide/they are unstable. 

Message 8 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The idea behind the router is to be easy to use and to have people start interacting with routers more, if you want really fine control over things like that then it may come in the future but not right now.
Message 9 of 155
z0nk
Star

I agree that it should be easy to use by games,

Please understand that, if you buy sports car to drive on track, you don't expect that it will have set speed limiter into 100mph ( you can remove it but then you loose waranty).

When we buy premium router, we don't expect to be limited by web frontend, we can change firmware to 3rd party, but then we loose warranty.

What would you do with such sport car after purchse and found it out? Is there possiblity to support powerusers without loose warranty on device?

Message 10 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

More features will be coming and the ability to facilitate more advanced features, you'll see what I mean in the beta.
Message 11 of 155
Raf1212
Apprentice

I heard that netgear sent e-mails to beta today, so nothing like I expected, I wonder what criteria they chose, they probably took friends, but I may be wrong

Message 12 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is first come first serve, there will be more waves so keep an eye out.
Message 13 of 155
z0nk
Star

@Raf1212try to think about it like that:

- first beta is unstable and may damage device, so better to choose counties where netgear/netduma exists in case of return damaged davice

- there are major bugs that will drive you crazy, and you will wait anyway for next beta due to poor user experience

- based on announcments netduma 3.0 - there's nothing new (that users demands), only old functions *may* work better. some functionality were renamed and use new name.

- as it's beta, probably no more functinality will be implemented, only existing one needs to be more stable repaired

- it even possible that first release (after all beta tests) will contain major bugs that will be repaired in next versions.

So even it might be better to wait for 3rd officialy relased firmware with duma 3.0.

Message 14 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to correct you on a point, there are lots of new features in 3.0 🙂
Message 15 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's being rolled out gradually, more and more people are being invited. Keep an eye out on your emails.
Message 16 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can do so if you wish to but I don't believe it will make a difference. The process is to sign up and wait for an invite so I doubt they will provide it to anyone that asks.
Message 17 of 155
Raf1212
Apprentice

I don't want to wait anymore, now xr500 is a piece of sheet metal and plastic, it's a shame to talk

Message 18 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is the process, you have to wait to be invited. Asking over and over again does not make the process faster, you will be invited, give it some time.
Message 19 of 155
z0nk
Star

is it possible to reval on which verion of openwrt beta duma os 3.0 is build is it still 12.09-rc1 like lastest official build?

Message 20 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've asked the team to let me know (if they can) and will get back to you.
Message 21 of 155
defiled669
Apprentice

signed up for this last month still have not seen an email to confirmed i signed up. and this router has issues with laif you have gb internet speeds. i have fiber gig up and down and call of duty battlefield all play like trash. i have followed setting and other peoples settings but cant get hit detection or game not syncing right. can anyone that has fiber thats not sitting on a server help

Message 22 of 155
RISHI-O
Tutor

@defiled669 wrote:

signed up for this last month still have not seen an email to confirmed i signed up..................................

Same here, still waiting for an invite for testing the firmware for my XR500. Kind of getting annoyed by this long wait, especially when I read on the Netduma forum, people are being moved up in the waiting list by simply asking the Netduma mods over there.

What happened to first come, first served?

See link here:

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/31440-announcement-dumaos-30-is-here/?do=findComment&comment=253722

Message 23 of 155
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've responded to your post @defiled669

@RISHI-O As far as I am aware it is still first come first serve just with some added people. Alex is collating the names so I will pass him yours also.
Message 24 of 155
RISHI-O
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I've responded to your post @defiled669

@RISHI-OAs far as I am aware it is still first come first serve just with some added people. Alex is collating the names so I will pass him yours also.

Thanks, looking forward to testing. And finally seeing and trying out the new features for myself. I think the XR series are great products, except the lack of actively supporting and keeping the devices up to date - without pointing fingers specifically to Netduma or Netgear - which has made me seriously consider to not get any Netgear devices anymore.  If 3.0 actually delivers the features you have been teasing us for months I could actually reconsider chosing a Netgear product again in the future.

For now I'm happy with my XR500 and a R7800 as an accespoint, and a small HP Server for DNS and acting as a Active Directory/Domain Controller. I'm a poweruser, and the extra / unique features the XR series provide made me go for the XR500, but if no features are added or existing features are not improved over time, it kinda feels as a let down.

Anyways I'm ranting..............

Message 25 of 155
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7