× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 having connection issues.

S219
Guide

xr500 having connection issues.

My rig can connect to the network on 2 out of the 4 ports.  The NIC driver has been updated to the latest version.  I'm using the intel ethernet connection i218-v and updated the driver to version 23.1.  My other system can connect to all 4 ports without issues.  Is my NIC failing or is it something else?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
S219
Guide

I think I figured out the problem.  Computer started crashing today and during boot I was getting "power surge detected from PSU" messages.  This is all while I'm thinking my nic is gone because I zapped it, I've opened my pc like 20 times and the last time I opened it I was messing around with the fan profile settings on liquid cooler.  Found some info online about PSU possible causes and someone said it could be a loose 20 pin connection and that also can cause problems with other onboard devices.

OTHER.  ONBOARD.  DEVICES.

OTHER.

ONBOARD.

DEVICES.

I thought about what I did last time I was inside the case and I had to pull a bunch of wires tangled up and get one of them through the backside for an extra HDD because it wouldn't reach at first.  Figured I would just look around and see if I could see anything going on with the PSU.  Then I glance over and see that I somehow managed to pull out the 20 pin slightly, I never thought that was possible since it has a snap on it but alas.  Pulled it off, put it back on just to be extra sure and no crashes but just thought I would try the first 3 ports on the xr500 again.  And whaduya know?  It works on 1, 2, AND 3!

What can you learn from all this?  Well it's simple really: even if you have no idea what you are doing, sometimes you just get lucky and figure it out before you go out and buy a PSU that you don't need.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hello, how if you can confirm the the ports work on the router with other devices then that does point towards the one device as the issue
Message 2 of 5
S219
Guide

Sounds good, I'll try searching microsoft for an answer.

Message 3 of 5
S219
Guide

I think I figured out the problem.  Computer started crashing today and during boot I was getting "power surge detected from PSU" messages.  This is all while I'm thinking my nic is gone because I zapped it, I've opened my pc like 20 times and the last time I opened it I was messing around with the fan profile settings on liquid cooler.  Found some info online about PSU possible causes and someone said it could be a loose 20 pin connection and that also can cause problems with other onboard devices.

OTHER.  ONBOARD.  DEVICES.

OTHER.

ONBOARD.

DEVICES.

I thought about what I did last time I was inside the case and I had to pull a bunch of wires tangled up and get one of them through the backside for an extra HDD because it wouldn't reach at first.  Figured I would just look around and see if I could see anything going on with the PSU.  Then I glance over and see that I somehow managed to pull out the 20 pin slightly, I never thought that was possible since it has a snap on it but alas.  Pulled it off, put it back on just to be extra sure and no crashes but just thought I would try the first 3 ports on the xr500 again.  And whaduya know?  It works on 1, 2, AND 3!

What can you learn from all this?  Well it's simple really: even if you have no idea what you are doing, sometimes you just get lucky and figure it out before you go out and buy a PSU that you don't need.

Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Wow, that's such an unusual cause. Well done on fixing it!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7