× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 internet drops

Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

xr500 internet drops

hi im on latest firmware, tried most of the solutions and my internet drops few times a day. Weird part is, i cant access the log while its off internet no matter what i try. I have tried static IP, tweaking IP and DNS. Aswell as other solutions, anybody have a fix to limit the amount of times this happens per day? 

Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 internet drops

Hey, this forum is monitored and supported similarly to the Netduma forum. I know I mentioned over there that you could try reaching out to NETGEAR support, apologies for any confusion there. I was referring to opening a ticket at support.netgear.com, rather than this support forum.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the DHCP IP address pool range set for? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Rjaaayyy wrote:

hi im on latest firmware, tried most of the solutions and my internet drops few times a day. Weird part is, i cant access the log while its off internet no matter what i try. I have tried static IP, tweaking IP and DNS. Aswell as other solutions, anybody have a fix to limit the amount of times this happens per day? 

Message 3 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Cat6 is the cable I’m using. Modem is a Shaw one in bridge mode. I think the starting IP is 2 and ending is 254. Use router as dhcp server is checkmarked.
Message 4 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does the internet restore itself or do you need to reboot/factory reset to gain internet/access?
Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Internet LED on the XR router turn AMBER when the internet drops? 

Please change the DHCP IP address range to .100 thru .200 on the XR router. Reboot the router and all of your devices. 

@Rjaaayyy wrote:
Cat6 is the cable I’m using. Modem is a Shaw one in bridge mode. I think the starting IP is 2 and ending is 254. Use router as dhcp server is checkmarked.

Message 6 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

It will either stay white and not flash or be off entirely, then it will reboot entirely after a few minutes. I have router set to access without internet but it totally does not. I haven’t been able to access the log in many ways I’ve tried.
Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that is a result of the XR loosing the connect with the ISP modem and services and something is happening here at the modem that is dropping the connection. I would have the ISP fully check there side and look at there logs for time frames when you see this happen. 

I would also configure the modem for router mode, then use the modems DMZ for the XR routers IP address it gets from the modem that

s in router mode. See if this changes the behavior. 

Message 8 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

There was no issues on their end in anyway. Should I still try and go into the modem?
Message 9 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Also noticed the internet LED, sometimes it stop’s flickering to solid white, and sometimes it’s just grey and not white at all. Both times I lose connection.
Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Would indicate a problem between the modem and router

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Can you factory reset the modem and set it up from scratch? Power it OFF for 1 minute along with the XR router then back ON with the modem first, then the router? I would set the modem for router mode and not bridge. Use the modems DMZ for the XR router. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Please change the DHCP IP address range to .100 thru .200 on the XR router. Reboot the router and all of your devices. 

Message 11 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Okay I talked to isp, nothing on their end. Factory reset both and dhcp changed. It doing it more often now lol. Sometimes internet led stays white, or just goes right off.
Message 12 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Currently can’t get into isp router forgot password haha. If it’s not bridge mode, then technically I’m not even using the router though? The isp connection is fine.
Message 13 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Okay I’m on isp modem. How do set up dmz for the xr?
Message 14 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Copy the WAN IP from the XR System Information page or check on the modem for the XR IP that it's been given and then put that in the DMZ
Message 15 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Put the wan IP from xr in the dmz on the xr and on modem take it off bridge mode?
Message 16 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would put it in the modem DMZ and disable bridge mode on the modem
Message 17 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Okay I disabled bridge mode, put on dmz on modem and put the WAN IP from the router, into the dmz.
Does my qos and geo filter still work on the xr?
Message 18 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Already disconnnected. XR internet just went white and stayed there.
Message 19 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes they would still work on the XR. On the modem set the WAN IP of the XR as static/reserved then monitor from there
Message 20 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

No difference 😞
Message 21 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide the log from the System Information page when you see this happen please?
Message 22 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

Can’t access xr log without internet.
Message 23 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you created a ticket with Netgear support directly?
Message 24 of 26
Rjaaayyy
Aspirant

No all links kept bringing me here
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7