× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 ip fragmentation ps4

wait_i-m_low
Guide

xr500 ip fragmentation ps4

Hello i have an ip fragmentation Problem with the new Duma Os.

I use the xr 500 and already test my MTU. MTU max is 1472 but i still get the IP fragmentation message when the PS4 hits the NAT test and i takes ages to end the Test. Also my internetconnection is super slow, i have 150 down and 10 up. thats okay but when i want to open a page or look a stream everything is super laggy. I have cable Internet

I need help please, i already tested so many MTU settings and nothing helps.

i saw a post where a guy gets a new firmware that solves the problem, but i can´t find it anymore

cheers

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: xr500 ip fragmentation ps4

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the PS wired or wirelessly connected to the XR router? 

Message 2 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

It’s wired
Fritzbox 6490 cable with the last available Firmware from Fritz
I also have the last available firmware on the xr router. 2.3.2.32
Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You ISP modem already has a router built in:

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-6490-cable/technical-data/

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 4 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

Yes it has a router buildin but I made everything with the isp support and it’s already in bridgemode in lan port 2.
I also dmz the up from the xr. And turn all wifi off.
Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where have you set MTU? Just on the PS4 itself? You should also mirror this on the router so they're the same. If you reset the MTU does it work correctly? If so then you either haven't worked it out correctly or you're not inputting it in all the places needed.
Message 6 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

I set it in the dumaos and in the Ps4.
When I set it in the router and test the internet I have no fragmentation warnings. But for the Ps4 I have the message all the time doesn’t matter which MTU I set. Even when I put in the lowest possible.
My isp is good for 1472.

By the way Thanks for the answers
Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ is not needed on the ISP modem if the modem fully in bridge mode...Are you sure the modem is in bridge mode? You can tell by looking at the IP address on the XR WAN port. It should be a public IP address, something like ##.##.###.### and not a 192 or 172 or 10 something IP address which is private. 

I would set the MTU to auto as well...unless your having the XR router handle any ISP connection information like PPPoE.

What is your ISP speed UP and down that you pay for? 

What is your QoS and Current Filter settings on the XR? 

Review this for XR optimal settings:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000023979-optimal-settings-guide

Message 8 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

Yes it’s a public ipv4
When I set it to auto games are mostly not playable cause of heavy lags
Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure DMZ is not being used while the modem is bridged. 

You might do a full factory reset on the XR. Power Off the modem for 1 minute then back on. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the XR router and let it set things up again. Run some speed tests to ensure your speeds are good. The XR should auto detect speeds as it's setting up as well. After it's set up, look at the QoS settings and see if the speeds detected by the router are good. 

Message 10 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

Ok i will try things that you mention and will get back.
Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 18
Killhippie
Prodigy

Exacly the same issue on my PS4 Pro, firmware 2.3.2.32 MTU 1492 PPPoE reset router etc the error is always present as it takes about 20 seconds to work out the Nat type on the PS4 that seems to trigger this warning. Seen it many times over the years with Netgear routers.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 13 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

It looks like that there is an issue with the Netgear routers.
I made the walkthrough with factory reset and all the other things. Had a phone call with my isp. Everything is perfect from their side.

But I still get the warning from the Ps4 and gaming is not so much fun right now.
Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM to try on a different firmware
Message 16 of 18
wait_i-m_low
Guide

Hi #Netduma- Fraser,

the Firmware that you send me really improves my internet connection.

everything is now faster, its not good but better.

The Ip Fragmentation Problem is not solved.

Still the same Message, doesn´t matter how i set the MTU in the PS4 or in the router.

Best regards,

Ingo

Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you notice if it affects your connection at all? As its a beta firmware it'll likely just be based off the latest public version. Hopefully won't be too much longer for the next version so if you could check on that one when released. MTU is the most common cause for it. Do you have a lot of devices connected to the router? Having a look online at others with the issue on different routers that is a potential cause.
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7