× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 issues

Jake1400
Aspirant

xr500 issues

Hello, I recently bought the xr500 and have been having some issues with NAT and wired connection. When I first set it up and tried playing xbox, I was given the double NAT. I fixed this by switching the router to AP mode but I was wondering if there was a way I could remove double NAT without AP mode because this takes away all the features of the router. Another issue I have is that I can’t use a wired connection on my Xbox with this router as it gives me a “NAT unavailable”. How do I fix this?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 issues

What is your exact physical setup? Setting NAT to Open in WAN settings will help with this as well.
Message 2 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I have a modem that the router is plugged into. Then I have the Netgear PL1000 plugged into an outlet and into the router. My other PL1000 is plugged into an outlet near my Xbox and I have an Ethernet core running from that to the xbox. And how do I set the NAT to open in WAN settings?
Message 3 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the modem model? Go to Settings > WAN Setup and you can change it there.
Message 4 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

The modem was provided by my ISP. How do do I find out the model? And will changing the WAN settings fix the unavailable NAT on my Xbox when I’m wired?
Message 5 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Look on the underside of it and it should give you a model number/name. Yes it will definitely help with NAT.
Message 6 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Okay so I took the router off AP mode to change the WAN settings to open. My Xbox went back to double NAT. What do I do now?
Message 7 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Also, I look at the bottom of the modem and there are a bunch of numbers. I see PN:, SN:, CM MAC:, and MTA MAC:. All have a set of numbers after them. Which one of these would be the model number?
Message 8 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No they wouldn't, what is the ISP your with instead?
Message 9 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Update. I figured out how to change my modem into bridge mode which opened my NAT on the Xbox. However, when I plug in the Ethernet to the Xbox I get NAT unavailable along with a thing that says teredo. How do I go about fixing this?
Message 10 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I have xfinity
Message 11 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to clarify, you get an open NAT but also an unavailable NAT? Is it only unavailable when using ethernet but open when using WiFi?
Message 12 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Yes it’s exactly that
Message 13 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you try with a different ethernet cable does it show as open? As you using manual or automatic network settings for the console?
Message 14 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I’ve used both a CAT8 Ethernet cable and a cat5e and got unavailable with both of them. I’ve tried manual and automatic settings on the console and still get unavailable. I believe the issue is the router or modem not recognizing the Ethernet cable. Cause on my netgear PL1000 that I use for the Ethernet they have 3 light indicators. 2 of them are green which means they are good but the 3rd one is not lit up at all meaning that it’s not recognizing a connection or something. The one not lit up is called the Plug N Play. Before I got the xr500 my wired connection was working fine
Message 15 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is this with NAT set to Open? If you put it in the DMZ instead does it change?
Message 16 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

How do I set the NAT to open and what exactly do I put in the DMZ?
Message 17 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings did you change the NAT option to open from secure? You would put the console IP address into the DMZ.
Message 18 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Yes I did both of those
Message 19 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Really doesn't make sense as there are no LAN port specific settings. If you plug the Xbox into the Modem with the same ethernet cable connecting the Xbox to the XR router does it work?
Message 20 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

I’m not able to do a direct connection from the Xbox to either the router or modem because of where they are in the house which is why I use the PL1000.
Where would I find the Xbox ip that I could put in the DMZ? Maybe I was putting in the wrong ip
Message 21 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Look in the Xbox network settings and you should see the IP to use.
Message 22 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

Just looked. I have the IP address under IPv4 in the DMZ settings
Message 23 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Connect the Xbox direct to the Power Line Adapter that comes from the modem using the XR to Xbox cable, do you get an open NAT that way?
Message 24 of 48
Jake1400
Aspirant

No I don’t. I believe that’s how it is setup right now
Message 25 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7