× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 no google

Billybudz420
Apprentice

xr500 no google

I have the xr500 and no device that uses google works right.... I can't use play store, you tube ect.. on any devices.I have comcast gig service and changed the dns as well as factory reset still nothing... only way they work is off cell data or wifi somewhere else... please help!
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's usually to do with DNS, clone the MAC address of your previous router and input that into Internet Setup. Did comcast provide a modem or combo?
Message 2 of 25
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I was using the cm1000 but now have a comcast newest 3.1 which is in bridge mode.... unfortunately it's the same issue with both. I can get it to work a couple of minutes by rebooting the xr500 then nothing again.
Message 3 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Really oddly specific issue, like theres a setting you've customised in someway blocking it. Have you done a factory reset?
Message 4 of 25
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I have done multiple resets.... I have used google, cloudfare and comcast DNS. I can get it to work only for a few minutes after rebooting. The issue is driving me crazy since it's only across android devices.... 6 devices cant use email,search,you tube or anything related to google. Once off this wifi it works perfect. So it's not any thing being blocked there's nothing being blocked on the router or isp side... I switched modems and now using the netgear cm1000. I do have a mesh extender on the network ext 7500.... but... even on the main network or ext its the same thing. I have even turned off qos and stopped using the geo filter and still nothing.
Message 5 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend calling Netgear 24/7 support number by logging in here http://support.netgear.com/ they may have had experience with something like this before
Message 6 of 25
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I called netgear a few weeks ago. The had no idea and I sent them the debug files. They just ended up replacing it. This unfortunately did fix anything I even had comcast here. They checked everything. No solution. I did however discover many dos attacks and even remote logins when that feature is disabled. I have screen shots of these. So... is a hacker on my network?
Message 7 of 25
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I called netgear a few weeks ago. The had no idea and I sent them the debug files. They just ended up replacing it. This unfortunately did fix anything I even had comcast here. They checked everything. No solution. I did however discover many dos attacks and even remote logins when that feature is disabled. I have screen shots of these. So... is a hacker on my network?
Message 8 of 25
Killhippie
Prodigy

I would suggest doing a very thorough malware check first, then flush your DNS on your computer I personally have no issue with any Google services and the XR500 and I have an Android TV.  DoS attacks show your firewall is doing its job, the internet probes routers every day, and these Dos attacks are normal, we all get them, it is why its important to keep your hardware up to date along with the router firmware. Can you borrow a laptop/Tablet/phone etc and try google services on on your network using another device would eleminate the router? Also changing both SSID's (If you have turned off smart connect) and your routers login password and wireless password would be prudent. Never use default ones either. If other devices work on your LAN its an issue with whatever you are using to connect to Google, I highly doubt its the router as I said. If you are using a windows computer try this:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
  2. Type ipconfig /flushdns then press “Enter“. (be sure there is a space before the slash)

Then try Google services again. You mentioned remote logins? Can you just copy and paste a few lines of your logs blocking out your IP where needed to show these remote logins? The fact this is so specific would suggest malware rather than router issues, but without seeing some of your logs its hartd to tell whats going on. Resetting your router changing what I have said would stop access if you have downloaded some malware, have you recently downloaded any new apps since getting the XR500? I know its lots of questions but at this point with two routers and chging DNS now working its to specific to be the XR500  otherwise we would see a flood of these on the forums.

Message 9 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd reiterate the above but this also may be the reason you're having issues with Google services specifically: https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-now-blocks-uncertified-android-devices-from-using-its-core-apps...

Also another suggestion online that the date may be wrong on the device, setting it correctly resolved the issue.

I don't believe that this issue is isolated to the XR500.
Message 10 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

Holy s*** I'm having the same issue now in 2018
Message 11 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you followed the advice above?
Message 12 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

You mean about the date and time it's all correct
Message 13 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The link as well as DNS
Message 14 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

I'm rather new at using forums I see a few links that I've looked into like certifications for Google on on unrecognized are unauthorized devices but I don't see any DNS
Message 15 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Change DNS on the router to Googles DNS:
Primary 8.8.8.8
Secondary 8.8.4.4

and see if that resolves it
Message 16 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

What about the Third my router setup had the third DSN address do I completely ignore it
Message 17 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you on XR500? Believe it only has primary and secondary
Message 18 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

Message 19 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

Message 20 of 25
Unh0lyScribe
Aspirant

Funny enough I can't find anything on a third DSN address for anything
Message 21 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Strange, just use primary and secondary and see if it resolves your issue
Message 22 of 25
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I have tried all of that the dns change, flushed on pc, had router and modem replaced list goes on and on. I did find a list of remote logins with the feature tuned off. The ip address was traced to Brazil. So wtf is going on. The router is the problem. Comcast tech checked their stuff and decides to try his android.. sure enough it did not work. My devices are literally brand new... lg g7 thinq and before that was using the google pixel xl. I would like to add something else.... Last week I did complete reset new ssid ect and set all 16 devices back up 1 by one. I used my phone for the setup and only added the android devices to network. Those all did the exact same thing and those where the only things connected to the router... so tell me again it's not the router?
Message 23 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do the malware check as suggested as that could be what the remote logins is down too. Did you check to see if the router time was correct? Have you another router to test with? Did you clone MAC of previous router?
Message 24 of 25
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you tried turning off Comcasts protected browsing feature? its been known to have issues. As Fraser says did you do a malware check, have you tried your previous router? I have no issue in the UK with any of the Google services or pages and I have Android devices, I have tried two orther XR500's since release (A Beta unit and a first revison release unit) before my current unit and none of them blocked google. Unless they have been set up to, and I believe they cant block HTTPS sites anyway there is no way the XR500 should ever block one website, and as I said if it was it would be a huge issue and this forum would be flooded.

I know you are having issues but Comcast as any other ISP pass the buck very easily, try another router, try a very thorough malware scan Both on your android devices (Yes Android can easily get malware if you download the wrong app or something not from the google store) Try downloading a free virus scanner for your Android devices like Avast etc just in case. Rebooting/resetting your router would clear any issues anyway, so I would look into doing whats been suggested please. Also Just because the IP is showing Brazil does not mean it is, IP addreses are spoofed easily. If you are having remote logins and remote login is turned off? (Are you using the Netgear Nighthawk app app) then something else is going on.

When you reboot your router are you getting a new IP address? (if you have dynamic IP it could be that a block of IP's are blacklisted) Or if you have a static IP address that could also be blocked. Try usiing your phone without wifi and access google. Search Comcast forums for 'Comcast blocking google' and you will see this has happened before. Also Try another browser as well. Start though with malware checks on your comoputer and your Android devices and any other computer on your network. I'm pretty sure two XR500's would not block Google unless there is Malware issue, a set up issue or a Comcast issue occuring. Please let us know what steps you have taken and how you get on. One final thing, turn off IPV6 on the XR500 if you have that set up reboot and try again.

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7