× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 router what settings to use for bandwidth allocation, qos etc

ripper2323
Aspirant

xr500 router what settings to use for bandwidth allocation, qos etc

I have a gigabit fiber connection 1000 up 1000 down...it seems at speedtest I avg around 400 down and 800 up.....what settings to use for bandwidth allocation, qos etc....what am I diong wrong?

see attached   

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable QoS. QoS insn't really needed on a 1G ISP service line. 

Message 2 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, disable it via the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu.
Message 3 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

ok when i did that and did speed test it seems slightly better with it on is that true?  or placebo?

also why is my download 1/2 that of my upload?

400 down 800 up?

Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That can't be the case, QoS disabled should always net you the higher speeds or at least the same. Are you testing using wireless or ethernet? Have you put 1000/1000 into bandwidth settings?
Message 5 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

Yes I have 1000 Putin in for each category
Ethernet
Hmm
Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset on the XR router and setup from scratch. Might walk thru the setup wizard, here it will detect the ISP speed, if it doesnt' detect it correctly, I would by pass the wizard, go in and disable QoS, do a full reboot of the XR and Fiber ONT and try a speed test via ethernet. 

Try directly connecting to the ONT with out the XR router with the wired PC to check speeds here. 

Message 7 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

by the way i just disabled qos a got a little better speeds...still dont know why download is half of uploas....I used the dumb switch method to bypass att pace router....Im using the above router and a tplink 8 port dumbswitch....im using the nighthawk router isnetad of the att pace modem

so if i go throught the dumb switch process agian.....after i rebooted the ont..it should help?

Message 8 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

so wheres my setup ont to tplink 8 port dumswitch... dumbswitch to wan port of night hawk router....

can i just plug my pc in to the dumbswitch ?  it should see the ont correct? and test it that way?

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it should. Are other devices connected to the switch and therefore bypassing the router? If so that may be the cause as they may be pulling bandwidth away from the router.
Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to test at the modem first then directly behing the XR router. Don't speed test with anything in between. 

Does this modem have a built in router?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

I would use option #2 for the XR router. 

Message 11 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

I already removed the att pace modem out of the equation.....  I did the dumb switch method

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32491796-bypass-att-pace-gateway 

so it goes from ont to nighthawk router, i fooled the ont to think the nighthawk is the modem...but im still getting dowload half of uoload?  400 down and 800 up?   thoughts?

Message 12 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

ok so i can plug my pc  into the dumb switch its a tp link 8 port  ..which has the ont giong into it and then out to the nighthawk wan port...but when i plug my pc into the dumbswitch...how do i get it to connect to the ont and test that connection?  what ip address do i need to force my pc too?

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats not going to work as the public IP address coming from the ONT to the Switch can only work for 1 connected device. So the XR won't connect directly to the ONT with out the switch? 

You may need to contact the ISP and have them help you with this and see if they can get you set up better with speeds. They may required you to use the PACE router. 

Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried with the ONT > Pace > XR to see if you get full speeds that way at all?
Message 15 of 17
ripper2323
Aspirant

Yes I did that initially 400 down 800 up
Removed pace 500 down 900 up
So pace seemed to be holding it down

But why is my download about half of upload makes no sense
Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is strange, in Internet Setup could you give the XR the MAC address of the pace router and then reboot please and see if that helps.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7