× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 seems to have more issues than not using it please help

dizzyx
Aspirant

xr500 seems to have more issues than not using it please help

hey i have tried getting my xr500 working but it introduces lag delay and spikes i cant seem to set it up right i will add some ping plotter stuff as you can see ping plotter looks like a 2D new york i have no idea why i have tried following youtube settings and everything just having no luck what so ever please help thanks i am on the latest firmware

c9f5b1b10a3d0763e100db50d3a79607.png

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Have you tried as a test the first initial FW version on the XR500? 

Message 2 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Have you tried as a test the first initial FW version on the XR500? 

hey i am on virgin media uk 200mb/12mb i have tried withe the fw before the new firmware came out and seemed to be the same and the router is connected to the superhub 3.0 with the latest .308 firmware

Message 3 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

cant edit i mean the .603 firmware

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Message 5 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

the router is in modem mode i have called my isp and after alot of prodding and stuff i have managed to get an engineer to downgrade me to the superhub 2.0 since the puma 6 chip is unstable so hopefully this works if not i have no idea where to start since i have followed youtube videos and everything just to have the same outcome so i came here just to see if anyone has knowledge and see what im doing wrong and why im not getting the awesome results everyone else is having 

Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thats the preferred mode for modems. I would test out speeds with a wired PC and browser and use ISP speed test site and speedtest.net and see how it goes. Besure QoS isn't enabled for now and just do some basic testing. Do some comparison testing.

Also be aware of older PCs with single or dual CPUs, depending upon speeds of CPU, this will limit speed test results. I have a dual core Mac Book pro from 10 years ago, it maxes out at 200Mb on a 1Gb service. When I use my qual core Mac Mini 2012, I see 900Mb speeds. So be sure your have a PC capable of speed testing 900mb. Something to keep in mind. 

Message 7 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok thats the preferred mode for modems. I would test out speeds with a wired PC and browser and use ISP speed test site and speedtest.net and see how it goes. Besure QoS isn't enabled for now and just do some basic testing. Do some comparison testing.

Also be aware of older PCs with single or dual CPUs, depending upon speeds of CPU, this will limit speed test results. I have a dual core Mac Book pro from 10 years ago, it maxes out at 200Mb on a 1Gb service. When I use my qual core Mac Mini 2012, I see 900Mb speeds. So be sure your have a PC capable of speed testing 900mb. Something to keep in mind. 

the average seems to be 123 down 12 up i only seem to be getting half my dl speed i have a intel quad core 6700k i tried to post pics but the posts keep dissapearing 

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

When you updated FW, did you auto update or manually apply the update? Has the router been reset after any updates at all? 

I would attache any pictures to you posts as attachments, not embedded. 

Message 9 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When you updated FW, did you auto update or manually apply the update? Has the router been reset after any updates at all? 

I would attache any pictures to you posts as attachments, not embedded. 

it told me i had an update so i pressed update and then it reset and everything but i did a full reset back to factory settings today to see if it fixed my issue but it didnt

Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Im wondering if you may have just a bad unit. Something to see about maybe trying another one if your's is still in return policy time frame. 

Message 11 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

im unsure i dont think its faulty tbh i think its me not knowing what im doing haha but is always a posabilty 

Message 12 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a good test, even if you can install a different model router or something else. Seems like the XR500 is having issues. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Would be a good test, even if you can install a different model router or something else. Seems like the XR500 is having issues. Smiley Frustrated

yea unfortunately i got nothing atm

Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

There a local store with something in stock by chance with a refund policy? 

Message 15 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There a local store with something in stock by chance with a refund policy? 

unfortunately not id have to travel 2 hours

Message 16 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

When you connect a PC to the modem, do you get to spec speeds there I presume?

Any friends or family around with a spare you can barrow? 

Might try something from Amazon. You get 30 days before you would need to return something. 

Message 17 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When you connect a PC to the modem, do you get to spec speeds there I presume?

Any friends or family around with a spare you can barrow? 

Might try something from Amazon. You get 30 days before you would need to return something. 

here is a image of just my pc connected to my router and unfortunatly not and i dont really have the money to buy a new one at the moment since i have a disability that renders me unable to work so gaming is basically my life just modem.png

Message 18 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Can do you same test with PC connected to the ISP modem? 

Message 19 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

here is with router and modem 

and here is with just the pc connected to the main modem 

just modem.png

Message 20 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@NightHawkWaste wrote:

This router totally underperforms.  It's like a pre-release video game that was pushed on the market before it was ready just to meet some deadline.   If you were unfortunate to buy this and not return it the best you can do is hope that something they say about this router is actually true, but its just one horrible nightmare after another.  Full of problems.  Cheaper routers don't even have this many issues.

For the price you would expect a finished product that was tested? It does not even work right and they pushed a fix that made it even worse.  I read about this router after I tried getting it to work and gave up and googled and found all this stuff about this terrible product.

Its so broken, but thats what you paid for, the promise of something and the idea of a router...the truth though, it doesn't work right.

YOUR PAYING FOR R&D NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT.

seems that way haha i cant get it right at all haha

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Your signal behind the router is better than direct with modem. 

@dizzyx wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

just modem.png

Message 22 of 33
dizzyx
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Your signal behind the router is better than direct with modem. 

@dizzyx wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

just modem.png

the top one is with netgear nhxr500

the bottom image is isp direct to my pc

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops my bad...read that wrong. Ya seems a bit noiser however it's horrendous as with soem Intel based chipsets. 

Is with this default factory settings or custom configurations? 

Message 24 of 33
Hate
Apprentice

So now this router requires users to buy a different modem because it can't be adapted to certain chipsets?

Oh boy, this router gets better and better! /sarcasm

A $300 now turns into over $400 because they will need a new modem to accommodate the XR500, LOL!
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7