× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 + sky router + double nat

tClancey
Tutor

xr500 + sky router + double nat

PLEASE NOTE, XR500, not C7000.  I can't find xr500 in the list.

A friend asked if I could help setup his new router, he has no laptop or pc, he's only just got used to using and phone.  In the end we used the xbox to set it up anyway,,,  So, all the advise I could find said...  Just plug it in, it'll work.  And I have to be honest, it did.  I was quite surprised!  Routers have definitely edveloped over the last few years.

However, Sky ISP to Sky router (IE15 ir something) to XR500 to Xbox results in a double nat situation which is a terrible outcome for gaming, which is all he does.

There are many posts here and there about getting these routers working with sky, but I cant' find any double nat solutions.  Can you please advise?

Thanks.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@tClancey wrote:

PLEASE NOTE, XR500, not C7000.  I can't find xr500 in the list.

A friend asked if I could help setup his new router, he has no laptop or pc, he's only just got used to using and phone.  In the end we used the xbox to set it up anyway,,,  So, all the advise I could find said...  Just plug it in, it'll work.  And I have to be honest, it did.  I was quite surprised!  Routers have definitely edveloped over the last few years.

However, Sky ISP to Sky router (IE15 ir something) to XR500 to Xbox results in a double nat situation which is a terrible outcome for gaming, which is all he does.

There are many posts here and there about getting these routers working with sky, but I cant' find any double nat solutions.  Can you please advise?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The above is great advice. Also you may need to use DHCP Option 61 for Sky in Internet Setup.
Message 3 of 8
tClancey
Tutor

As far as I'm aware the ER115 doesn't have a bridge mode, or modem only mode, it just isn't there.

Sky do not give out login details so he can't use another modem.  Why he's so keen to use sky I have no idea, I'd sooner spit in my own ear, but each to their own!

So that leaves the 2nd option.  Which is perfectly possible for him to setup through his xbox.  But I'm a little confused, how does setting a DMZ ip address get arround the double nat?  Surely each box is still doing the same as it was??

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DMZ sends all ports to the device you put in it so it's sort of like a modem mode. So best advice would be put the router in it's DMZ then disable the Sky WiFi to ensure no devices connect to it. The XR500 has to control all devices to be used effectively.
Message 5 of 8
tClancey
Tutor

He's just called to sky to see how they would help, who said, "Yes, now our policy allows people to use the routers and modems of choice."

So he asked, "Can I have my internet credentials please?"

The reply was, "Sorry we don't give out that information."

So, sky are in breach of their own policy, and still make it impossible for you to use your own router/modem.  This is beyond stupidity.

Does anyone out there know how we can get this information?  Otherwise he's just spent £500 on publicly a available home router which his ISP is actively preventing him from using.

Is this even legal?

Message 6 of 8
tClancey
Tutor

Thanks Fraser, in the mean time I will get him to give this a go.  But the whole situation is beyond belief.  I've advised him to kick sky in the balls and find someone else.  I find forcing someone into their data collection practices distasteful to say the least.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This guide should help but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to do it without a PC http://forum.netduma.com/topic/266-sky-fibre-sr102-black/
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7