× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 - want to use vpn without subscription.

grdmstr75
Aspirant

xr500 - want to use vpn without subscription.

have a NG xr500 for a while now. is there a new updated FW release? the latest FW installed is  also i want to setup Hybrid vpn , i do not have a subscription anymore from Express vpn because ive heard from sec ops that its a waste of money (snake oil) how do i create my own vpn to use on my devices going out to the net. thank you

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 - want to use vpn without subscription.

The latest is .130. You have to have a subscription to a VPN provider unless you have a server in the location you want to connect to
Message 2 of 4
grdmstr75
Aspirant

the server location would that have to be my own or business owned?  what about open vpn? or other ones there are none free out there or even make my own like a peer 2 peer? 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would have to purchase a server in that location so unless there is a way for you to control it 100% you'd have to rent it from a business most likely so you'd still end up paying and could be more expensive that a VPN with multiple servers to choose from.

If you did that it would still be located where you are so wouldn't be beneficial.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7