× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr700 what's the temperature recommendation ?

onlywiseman
Guide

xr700 what's the temperature recommendation ?

My XR700 has been providing irregular download speed.  I have Xfinity gigabit.  

Directly connected to modem, I get low 900s Mbps.

Behind the router I can get up to 800s Mbps.  (QoS on, Anti Buffer on when needed, no hybrid VPN, no VLAN).  However, more than often I get 300s Mbps typically.

I've tried different firmwares, factory reset, network card reset, but no luck. 

I was wandering if it was hardware issue.  And I recently learned about the Debug page that allows me to change fan speed.  I've lowered the threshold.  Since the CPU temps been less than 60, I get 800s Mbps more often. Please, see attached picture.

Here are my Qs.  

1) Is the temperature in F? or C?  I guess C.

2) What is the recommended temperature for optimized function of CPU and Wifi processors/antennas?

Thanks bunch.

XR700 debug.jpg

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: xr700 what's the temperature recommendation ?

Those temp values would be in C, not F. 

Kind of high temps. 

I would ensure the fan is running all the time to help save the life of the router. Heat can and will cause damage to electronics over time. 

I keep a laptop fan cooler under my routers that I run. 

@onlywiseman wrote:

Behind the router I can get up to 800s Mbps.  (QoS on, Anti Buffer on when needed, no hybrid VPN, no VLAN).  However, more than often I get 300s Mbps typically.

I was wandering if it was hardware issue.  And I recently learned about the Debug page that allows me to change fan speed.  I've lowered the threshold.  Since the CPU temps been less than 60, I get 800s Mbps more often. Please, see attached picture.

Here are my Qs.  

2) What is the recommended temperature for optimized function of CPU and Wifi processors/antennas?

Thanks bunch.

XR700 debug.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In the manual, it states the operating temperature is between 0 - 40 Celsius which would lead me to believe that the temperature on that page is in Fahrenheit as the numbers are much higher but then it could be Celsius and they switch on when going above operating temp. I can appreciate it isn't all that clear, the important thing is you've found a value which seems to keep things more stable for you. If it happens again when the temp is below 60 disable QoS completely and see if the speeds return.
Message 2 of 10
onlywiseman
Guide

I've tried QoS on/off and AntiBuff On/Off.  DownLoad Speed irregularity continues to happen.  

I just checked.  Router CPU temp 53 (not sure still whether C or F, if I put my hand over the router it feels more like Celcius). Speed test shows 388Mpbs.  Funny thing is that it will be 800s sometime later today.

I thought operating temperature was the environmental temperature where the router should be located at.  If 0 - 40 C is what the machine supposed to be, then I should buy a dedicated Fan or AC for the router.  😕

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

QoS fully disabled via the Congestion Control menu? What firmware version are you on currently?

That's the only mention of temperature in the manual we have to go on but you could be right, it may not have any relevance to the internal temp. When the speeds are lower do you notice any reoccurring scenarios such as a certain device being used, a download etc?
Message 4 of 10
onlywiseman
Guide

What is Congestion Control Menu?  I use this option to trigger QoS on/off, 

Firmware version is XR700 V1.0.1.48

XR700 debug.jpg

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's the updated name for Anti-Bufferbloat, sorry about that, I can't see the picture until it has been moderated, could you attach it directly please?
Message 6 of 10
onlywiseman
Guide

Yes, I used the anti-buffer menu to disable QoS. 

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Have you adjusted Bandwidth Allocation at all or is it simply set to default?

Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to get connected to the internet? If you haven't come across these before, it's likely you don't need them.

Are all devices connected to the XR700, then to the modem, or do some still connect directly to the upstream modem?

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Those temp values would be in C, not F. 

Kind of high temps. 

I would ensure the fan is running all the time to help save the life of the router. Heat can and will cause damage to electronics over time. 

I keep a laptop fan cooler under my routers that I run. 

@onlywiseman wrote:

Here are my Qs.  

Thanks bunch.

XR700 debug.jpg

Message 9 of 10
onlywiseman
Guide

Bandwidth allocation: default

No PPPoE, VLan, DHCT setting required to be connected to the internet

All devices connected to the XR700, then to the modem (netgear CM1000 v2)

I ended up buying a 120mm fan, it's over the router.  140mm fan may fit as well.  It blows some air to the modem cooling it mildly as well.  I think stock fan is too small and inefficient. 

Since then the temps are: CPU 34, 2G wifi 42, 5G wifi 36.!!!!  (vs CPU 60s, 2G 80s, 5G 70s, previously with factory default).   So far i am getting 800s Mbps (with QoS and anti buff on) vs 900s directly from the modem

So, if your device runs hot with sluggish speed, consider cooling it first. 

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7