× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr700 wifi disconnecting

mxa
Tutor
Tutor

xr700 wifi disconnecting

I made another post but I dont see it in the main forum so trying again here.

I am continuously getting wifi dropouts for certain devices. If i reboot the router or disconnect the device from the wifi it may connect again or may not ...only to disconnect a few mins later. It appears it just does not want to hold on to an ip address. The logs are filled with DHCP lease changes. I have over 50 devices connected wirelessesly some work flawlessly and some dont. Even the devices that do not work sometimes appear to show in the device list as connected.

Things I have tried:

Changing all wireless settings

Setting static ips

Netgear support rep thought this was a hardware issue so I returned and purchased another one - this one is exhibiting the same behavior

Things that worked temporarily:

Resetting up the network with a new ssid and password and adding each device one by one. (also adding to the list of things I will not do again!) I had about 20 days of stable uptime but after I rebooted the router because DUMAOS page was not loading many tabs. It is back to exhibiting the same behavior.

I requested a beta firmware from the DUMAOS forum earlier today but still have not recieved any word yet. 

Pretty frustrated at this point and at the point of giving up and getting something else.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after applying v20? I would try this if you didn't reset. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi mxa, I've confirmed with Christian that you've been added to the beta forum but there is no current beta firmware available to try at the moment but you'll have access to them when they are. I was under the impression that there was but .10 is the latest firmware which should resolve the issues you're having, are you on that firmware?
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What devices do you have connected to the XR router?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Smart Connect or Beamforming enabled? 

@mxa wrote:

I made another post but I dont see it in the main forum so trying again here.

I am continuously getting wifi dropouts for certain devices. If i reboot the router or disconnect the device from the wifi it may connect again or may not ...only to disconnect a few mins later. It appears it just does not want to hold on to an ip address. The logs are filled with DHCP lease changes. I have over 50 devices connected wirelessesly some work flawlessly and some dont. Even the devices that do not work sometimes appear to show in the device list as connected.

Things I have tried:

Changing all wireless settings

Setting static ips

Netgear support rep thought this was a hardware issue so I returned and purchased another one - this one is exhibiting the same behavior

Things that worked temporarily:

Resetting up the network with a new ssid and password and adding each device one by one. (also adding to the list of things I will not do again!) I had about 20 days of stable uptime but after I rebooted the router because DUMAOS page was not loading many tabs. It is back to exhibiting the same behavior.

I requested a beta firmware from the DUMAOS forum earlier today but still have not recieved any word yet. 

Pretty frustrated at this point and at the point of giving up and getting something else.

Message 3 of 15
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

What Firmware is currently loaded?

I am on the latest and have also tried downgrading to no avail
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Verizon ONT I-211M-L

I have a NAS connected to ports 1 and 2 using LACP, a few pcs, and some security cameras on wired lan. For wireless I have many devices: laptops, phones, smart devices (probably over 50)

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Auto ( 9 ) 149+153(P)+157+161

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I have a 6-7 neighbors but dont think this doesnt have anything to do with interference since my old router had no problems using any channel.

Is Smart Connect or Beamforming enabled? 

Yes they are enabled but the issue persists with these settings off as well

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 9 Should not be used as a primary channel. 

Let us know if disabling SC help any. 

Message 5 of 15
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

I went ahead and changed it again and it made no difference as expected. Changing the 2.4g wifi channel makes no difference esp since the issue occurs on 5g devices as well. Enabling disabling smartconnect makes no difference, I am not willing to make that change again since I have just finished reconfiguring all my devices to use one SSID. Many devices show connected but no ip address assigned, some will connect for awhile (have an ip address) then disconnect randomly. This is happening on any wifi channel I choose.  

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Downgrade to one of the previous firmwares as they may be more stable for you, possibly .8
Message 7 of 15
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried .8 and that did not help, I also tried 0.20 and that caused more issues (DNS stopped working).

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after applying v20? I would try this if you didn't reset. 

Message 9 of 15
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

Yes unfortunately I tried this as well holding the reset in the back and configuring it from scratch. Im going to give it another go because I am broken at this point anyway

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Let us know how you get on, hopefully it'll be good news.
Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try 5Ghz lower channels 36-48. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you reduce the number of devices that are connected. Lets try about 25 and see if you still notice drop outs. 

What particular device are you noticing problems with? 

@mxa wrote:

I have a NAS connected to ports 1 and 2 using LACP, a few pcs, and some security cameras on wired lan. For wireless I have many devices: laptops, phones, smart devices (probably over 50)

Message 13 of 15
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like it is working for now after factory resetting twice and going back to the Initial firmware 0.20 release. I have rebooted my router twice and changed settings around a few times to verify they all reconnect and so far it is working!  I have disabled automatic firmware upgrades for now but I am happy to be stable - I will continue to monitor and see if this lasts. Hopefully there will be a fix for this issue in future firmware releases.

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update and hopefully it keeps being stable.
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7