× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BufferBloat problems with S8000 (GS808E)

dpk_ydv
Aspirant

BufferBloat problems with S8000 (GS808E)

Hey All.

I am having bufferbloat problem with my S8000 using bandwidth limiting method.

In gaming mode, I connect my Macbook to port 1 and Uplink from my ISP router-modem to port 8.

I have a router in AP connected to port 5 of the switch, and I've limited the bandwidth to that port to 64Mb/64Mb. I have a 150 Mbps connection.

When I connect my cellphone with WiFi to the AP router and do a speedtest, I dont see any ping spikes in ping plotter on my mac, it works as expected.

But when I run a speedtest on my mac I see massive latency spikes and packet losses on ping plotter. This becomes a problem when I use cloud gaming service that required a lot of bandwidth.

I tried limiting the bandwidth to port 1 to 64Mb/64Mb, and also on port 8 to 64Mb/64Mb, the issue remains, but the bufferbloat behaviour changes. Somwtimes I spike in download and sometimes on upload. I just cant find the right combo.

I would appereciate any suggestions on ways to combat this.

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3
ethaldsquak
Aspirant

Re: BufferBloat problems with S8000 (GS808E)

@dpk_ydv wrote:

Hey All.

I am having bufferbloat problem with my S8000 using bandwidth limiting method.

In gaming mode, I connect my Macbook to port 1 and Uplink from my ISP router-modem to port 8.

I have a router in AP connected to port 5 of the switch, and I've limited the bandwidth to that port to 64Mb/64Mb. I have a 150 Mbps connection.

When I connect my cellphone with WiFi to the AP router and do a speedtest or browse any website, I dont see any ping spikes in ping plotter on my mac, it works as expected.

But when I run a speedtest on my mac I see massive latency spikes and packet losses on ping plotter. This becomes a problem when I use cloud gaming service that required a lot of bandwidth.

I tried limiting the bandwidth to port 1 to 64Mb/64Mb, and also on port 8 to 64Mb/64Mb, the issue remains, but the bufferbloat behaviour changes. Somwtimes I spike in download and sometimes on upload. I just cant find the right combo.

I would appereciate any suggestions on ways to combat this.

Bufferbloat is basically when you lag, when your router does not process the information in good order, bascially letting other traffic interfere with your gaming traffic.

Netgear router gives you a control panel and you can see the servers you are connecting to, the ping, the client send and receive rate with some other stuff, also has UPNP and device bandwith allowance.portforwarding on any router is pretty simple and should be done.

Message 2 of 3
dpk_ydv
Aspirant

Re: BufferBloat problems with S8000 (GS808E)

But the equipment that I have is a Smart managed switch. QOS and stuff dont apply to it. All I can do is throttle bandwidth and prioritize ports. 

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7