× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can i install S8000 before my router after my modem?

turbosl2
Aspirant

Can i install S8000 before my router after my modem?

Is it possible to install this switch after my modem at before my router?

Reason for my question

My modem is in my basement, router is in my office on the other side of the house. My theater room is hard wired but the Cat5e runs back to my modem (basement).

House was built and prewired to have all cat5e run from each room to my basement (modem with 1 ethernet port). Modem used to be a modem/router wifi combo (4 ethernet ports) however i replaced that with just a single modem and a nighthawk router in the office (upstairs) for better wifi coverage. This leaves my theater room not able to plug into my router upstairs. To stream 4k without issue it needs to be hardwired. 

Is this setup possible?

More background. I have 2 routers running right now (one provided by the cable company to provide the two ports i need) using 1 port for the nighthawk router upstairs in my office and the other port going to my theater room. This worked for years but no longer works consistanly with my Spectrum (according to them i can only have 1 port active in bridge mode). Everyday the cable company router goes offline with 1 port (usually the one that goes to my router) while remaining active on the other port for my theater room. I would like to remove their router and replace it wit hthe switch before my router. I am not concerned with security for the theatre room to stream TV and having it not go through my router and just the switch.

Will they fight for a single IP address?

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can i install S8000 before my router after my modem?

You will need to have a router in front of the switch so the devices are able to receive an Ip address. You may want to connect the router by the modem and look at getting some Netgear mesh extenders to use in ap mode in other rooms wired for ethernet.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7