× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DiffServ ON S8000

David_Antunes
Aspirant

DiffServ ON S8000

Hello i want to know what diffser the s8000 use in the DSCP QOS

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6
David_Antunes
Aspirant

Any help from the Support Team, i need to know what diffserv s8000 use ( diffserv3 or 4)

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

There is no word of diffserv in the S8000 data sheet and the user manual, is't it?

As per the NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS808E User Manua..., p.34 ff.

===

Manually Set the Quality of Service Mode and Port Rate Limits

Instead of using preset performance modes, you can manually set the Quality of Service (QoS) modes to manage traffic:

• Port-based QoS mode. Lets you set the priority (low, medium, high, or critical) for individual port numbers and lets you set rate limits for incoming and outgoing traffic for individual ports. If broadcast filtering is enabled, you can also set the storm control rate for incoming traffic for individual ports.
  • 802.1P/DSCP QoS mode. Applies pass-through prioritization that is based on tagged packets and lets you set rate limits for incoming and outgoing traffic for individual ports. If broadcast filtering is enabled, you can also set the storm control rate for incoming traffic for individual ports.
    This QoS mode applies only to devices that support 802.1P and Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) tagging. For devices that do not support 802.1P and DSCP tagging, ports are not prioritized but the configured rate limit is still applied.

===

This is it - so pure DIFFSERV forwarding, no custom config.
3..4 ... IEEE 802.1D-1998 vs. IEEE 802.1Q-2014? Or asking about DIFFSERV mapping L2 802.1p tags to L3 DSCP tags?

Message 3 of 6
David_Antunes
Aspirant

What type o DSCP mapping table. Exemple:

Best effort CS0

Bulk CS1

Voice CS6

Message 4 of 6
David_Antunes
Aspirant

Asking about DIFFSERV mapping L2 802.1p tags to L3 DSCP tags.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

In my understanding it's pure bypass or pass-through mode only - packets which are coming tagged like VoIP or IPTV from the service providers are forwarded to the IP phone, IPTV media box, ... and there is no packet inspection or re-tagging applied (where absent) between L2 and L3 modes. This applies to the majority of Smart Managed Plus devices.

I think the 12- or 24-Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch Models XS512EM and XS724EM User Ma... (neither implicitly nor explicitly applicable to other models - there are few differences in other areas on these two models - does decribe things 

===
802.1p/DSCP-based priority uses a field in the data packet header that identifies the
class of data in the packet (for example, voice or video). When 802.1p/DSCP-based
priority is used, the switch reads information in the packet header to determine the
priority to assign to the packet. The switch reads both 802.1p tag information and
DSCP/ToS tag information. If an ingress packet contains both an 802.1p tag and a
DSCP/ToS tag, the switch gives precedence to the 802.1p tag.

All ports on the switch check the packet header and transmit the packet with a priority
determined by the packet content.
===

Afraid, I have no idea on how the the DSCP value and policy resp. the 802.1p tags are mapped to the tree (?) queues.

@Christian_R - something to dig out of the developers or the SoC maker - thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7