× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Do I connect my internet to the range extender then switch? Or to the Switch then to range exten

RGNATION
Aspirant

Do I connect my internet to the range extender then switch? Or to the Switch then to range extender?

Hi there, just registered and my first post because am needing experienced ideas, so i'll go and describe what i am planning.

I've decided to go all Netgear on my home set up.  I have my router in the living room and I've connected a 20 meter ethernet cable from it to the new AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Range extender in my room and i am using it as a wired hotspot.  Speeds are great - 220mbps downloads on my phone/wifi gadgets AND that exact speed when i connect my PS4 and XBOX into the range extenders ethernet ports. 

But i am sorta needing more ethernet ports, i'd like to connect my laptop, LG 4k TV, various others etc so i am needing a switch.  This new Nighthawk Pro Gaming SX10 switch has just come out and it says it's optomised for gaming and control latency etc.

Am guessing i'll be using all ports on the switch and plugging everything consoles etc into it for that optimised gaming feature.

So my question is, should I connect the internet wire into the range extender/hotspot then connect the switch into one of the range extender ports? Or do i connect the internet into the switch, then use one of the switch ports and connect it into the range extender port? Does it matter what order I do it in? Does it affect wifi performance in any way?  

Thanks for reading and for your time. 

Model: SX10| Pro Gaming Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 3

Re: Do I connect my internet to the range extender then switch? Or to the Switch then to range exten

I would recommand X10 (6 eth port avalable) then the new switch in your room  and plug all your game stuffs and plug your extender on a remanaing port on the X10  and put your extender where you want.

Message 2 of 3
RGNATION
Aspirant

Doesn't matter about that because am planning on buying a NAS later down the line anyway so i'll be future proofed.  I was just curious about does it matter what gets plugged in first the range extender or the switch or vice versa. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7