× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724T Firmware Upgrade

dfenner
Aspirant

GS724T Firmware Upgrade

We have a GS724T switch that the previous adminstrator was using as the Main Network Switch. The switch was being used as a "dumb" switch by the previous administrator. I have repurposed the switch to elsewhere on the network but I need full management capability from the switch. My issue is that I cannot get the firmware to upgrade past V1.0.3_35.The current status of the switch is as follows:

Product Name GS724T Firmware Version V1.0.3_35 Protocol Version 2.001.002 DHCP Disable IP Address 192.168.XX.XX Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.XX.XX MAC Address 00-1f-33-fd-81-1d System Name   Location Name   Login Timeout (minutes) 5 System UpTime 0 days 0 hours 1 mins 32 seconds

I have tried the following:

1. Perform factory default of switch (No version upgrade after factory default)

2. Attempt to attach to switch with Smart Control Center (Failed)

3. Used SmartWizard Utility to upgrade (Failed "TFTP-Tx failure. Device didn't exist"(Even though the same utility discovered the device))

I have read numerous posts about this general issue and followed the instructions to fix the problem but to no avail. More than anything, I need to know if the switch can be upgraded. If so, that is great and I might need further instruction. If not, I would throw the switch away as the current firmware version does not provide me with what I need and I know newer firmware versions do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724T Firmware Upgrade

@dfenner wrote:

Product Name GS724T Firmware Version V1.0.3_35

Best guess, based on GS724Tv2 — 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports this is a GS724Tv2 model (label says something like GS724T-200xxx or GS724Tv2) and the firmware is indeed current with 1.0.3_35.

There is a lot of confusion because there exist at least four GS724T versions (if not more), and Netgear did not included a differentiation in the firmware numbering scheme. Indeed, the feature set between the versions can vary, and features might be unavailable on your switch.

The GS724Tv2 was launched in summer 2005 - if it still does it's job, it had (and has) a wonderful busy life!

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@dfenner wrote:

Product Name GS724T Firmware Version V1.0.3_35

Best guess, based on GS724Tv2 — 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports this is a GS724Tv2 model (label says something like GS724T-200xxx or GS724Tv2) and the firmware is indeed current with 1.0.3_35.

There is a lot of confusion because there exist at least four GS724T versions (if not more), and Netgear did not included a differentiation in the firmware numbering scheme. Indeed, the feature set between the versions can vary, and features might be unavailable on your switch.

The GS724Tv2 was launched in summer 2005 - if it still does it's job, it had (and has) a wonderful busy life!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3
dfenner
Aspirant

Thanks for the information.I think I MUST have the latest version of V1 firmware. I can in no way update to V2 firmware. What you state makes perfect sense and would explain my issues upgrading. I will purchase a new switch to replace this one as the management interface is severely lacking (cannot even name ports) and use it as dumb switch elsewhere.

Thanks again for the information.

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7