× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS810EMX Internal bandwidth

GeppoSmart
Aspirant

GS810EMX Internal bandwidth

Hello,
I would like to know if someone tested the real bandwidth between the 1Gb/s 8 ports group and the two 10 Gb/s ports.

Suppose to connect a powerful PC through a 10Gb/s ethernet port to one of the two 10Gb/s ports of the switch and to connect 4 x 1Gb/s ports configured as an LACP trunk to a powerful NAS.

What is the REAL bandwith between the two devices? 4Gb/s?

Unfortunately I read some reports about this kind of hybrid 1Gb/10Gb switches (including the Netgear GS110EMX-100PES) where emerged a bottleneck in the internal "channel" connecting the 1Gb/s ports toward the 10Gb/s ports which limits the effective bandwidth to only 1Gb/s.

So I am asking if someone tested the real bandwidth in a similar configuration.

A big thanks in advance for any contribute.

Model: GS810EMX|10 Port Nighthawk 10-Multigigabit Uplinks Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Betreff: GS810EMX Internal bandwidth

Typical nonsense written by a user who has obviously no understanding how a LAG is working.

Typical expectation that a LAG with two ports does being a 2Gb link under all conditions. Simply wrong.

To bad that such monkeys write unqualified reports and 128 other monkeys find it useful...Sorry for.

The GS110EMX and it's GS810EMX sibling can easily handle all the traffic from all 1G ports into one 10G port. These switches provide line any other decent switch almost wire capabilities.

If you configure your intended four GbE ports into one LAG, it can serve _four_ systems connected either to the other four GbE ports, or somewhere in the network connected to the 10G port.

However, such a LAG does not allow a single 4Gb speed between e.g one NAS with one MAC on the 10G port, and a second NAS configured as a LAG with one MAC. In such a use, the link is limited indeed to the 1G speed - however this is not the switch fault.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@GeppoSmart wrote:

Unfortunately I read some reports about this kind of hybrid 1Gb/10Gb switches (including the Netgear GS110EMX-100PES) where emerged a bottleneck in the internal "channel" connecting the 1Gb/s ports toward the 10Gb/s ports which limits the effective bandwidth to only 1Gb/s.

Provide sources links - any language - please. Grazie!

Message 2 of 6
GeppoSmart
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your help, Schumaku.
Although it is not exacly a real technical report, it is enough to make me wanting to deeply investigate about the issue.
Please, read the U. Frings post (in German language)
https://www.amazon.it/Netgear-GS110EMX-Multi-Gig-Velocit%C3%A0-Montaggio/dp/B01MZ2VZI3?th=1

I read something similar in some other forum (I don't remember exactly where) about the Asus XG-U2008 switch, so this is something to clarify before buying it, considering these devices are quite expensive.

Reading the technical specification of the GS110EMX we only can understand its internal total speed (56Gbps) , but neither there are details about how it is measured, nor there are specification about the bandwidth between the 1Gb/s ports group and the 10Gb/s ports group.
Surely this issue is not present in switches with only 10Gb/s ports, but unfortunately they are quite expensive.
So I'm looking for someone owning this switch with a configuration similat to the one I described, to get a REAL performance report.
Otherwise we can say something and the opposite of it, but all we can say remain opinions......

Message 3 of 6
GeppoSmart
Aspirant

I add that as first option I tried to place the question via Amazon (quite difficult in just only 150 characters) but I obtained only an inconsistent reply from the italian Netgear customer service. It sounded like they pretended not to understand or maybe the customer service is not really able to reply because to give a significative answer you have to know the technical detail of the inner design or to have conducted focused tests.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Typical nonsense written by a user who has obviously no understanding how a LAG is working.

Typical expectation that a LAG with two ports does being a 2Gb link under all conditions. Simply wrong.

To bad that such monkeys write unqualified reports and 128 other monkeys find it useful...Sorry for.

The GS110EMX and it's GS810EMX sibling can easily handle all the traffic from all 1G ports into one 10G port. These switches provide line any other decent switch almost wire capabilities.

If you configure your intended four GbE ports into one LAG, it can serve _four_ systems connected either to the other four GbE ports, or somewhere in the network connected to the 10G port.

However, such a LAG does not allow a single 4Gb speed between e.g one NAS with one MAC on the 10G port, and a second NAS configured as a LAG with one MAC. In such a use, the link is limited indeed to the 1G speed - however this is not the switch fault.
Message 5 of 6
GeppoSmart
Aspirant

Thank you for the explanation.
Surely it's my fault considering I don't remember how the LACP protocol works, but I didn't give for sure the existence of an issue, just those messages triggered an interest to investigate further.
I used the LACP protocol in the past just mainly to get connection redundancy.
So, if I understand correctly, we can get the full bandwidth only connecting an equivalent number of ports (MAC) on the two devices.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7