× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS810EMX and .1q VLAN-mode

chris1024
Aspirant

GS810EMX and .1q VLAN-mode

Hi,

TLDR: tell GS810EMX where to get (DHCP) address from in 802.1q advanced mode.

I have a couple of GS810EMX (call them SX10a and SX10b) that have auto-negotiated a 10 Gbps connection accross 15m of Cat.5E. More speed than I need (3.1 Gbps desired).

To review the SX10 on link performance alone is a no-brain 5 star.

To review the SX10 on VLAN handling ...jury is out.

At one end of this 10 Gbps pipe is a perfectly behaved 5 VLAN network that includes the one&only DHCP server in the network

Two of my VLANS 12(t) & 27(t) connect to SX10a.

In no-vlan mode, SX10a & b each collect a (mac-reserved) IP from the DHCP server ...so far so very very super!

BUT unfortunately I need control over what appears on the SX10a & b ports not dedicated to the 10 Gbps "trunk/bridge", I need some variety of 12(t)+27(t); 12(t)+27(u); 12(u); and 27(u) on the other 18 ports ...this takes me to 802.1q Advanced mode on SX10a ...that is woefully unfathomable.

The ONLY connection between SX10a and my VLAN network is a single trunk VLAN 12(t) + 27(t) to SX10a port-2.

SX10a is DHCP client with a reserved IP in VLAN 27.

Everything is perfect until 802.1Q: SX10a no longer pulls its address from VLAN 27.

Ideas?

Chris

Model: GS810EMX|10 Port Nighthawk 10-Multigigabit Uplinks Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS810EMX and .1q VLAN-mode

That's the (only) downside of this switch design: We can't define the management interface VLAN (on any Smart Managed Plus/Click/Gaming/Gaming Pro) - the DHCP client can pick up an address on any VLAN. No other choice than using a static config if there are DHCP servers present on multiple VLANs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

That's the (only) downside of this switch design: We can't define the management interface VLAN (on any Smart Managed Plus/Click/Gaming/Gaming Pro) - the DHCP client can pick up an address on any VLAN. No other choice than using a static config if there are DHCP servers present on multiple VLANs.

Message 2 of 3
chris1024
Aspirant

@schumaku 

Thanks for that (horrible) info.

I will move the SX10s to manually entered fixed IP

Chris

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos