× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS810EMX force lower uplink speed

Blueyonderer
Follower

GS810EMX force lower uplink speed

Hi,

I've owned a Nighthawk GS810EMX for about a year now but I've only just gotten around to upgrading the router that connects it to the web. My ISP supplies broadband at just over 1Gbit currently so I want to run the uplink port on the SX10 at 2.5Gbps, even though the router and switch are both 10Gbit capable (both devices do support 1/2.5/5.0/10Gbit speeds). This is so I don't run into any cooling problems with the SFP+ port on the router which is reaching 85C if left running at full speed. Is there any way to manually set the upload speed on the switch to force it to 2.5Gbit? The only options available on the dropdown are 100Mb/10Gb/Disable. I've already changed the router to only advertise 2.5Gbit but both devices seem to want to autonegotiate all the way up, regardless. I'm not averse to hacking config files, etc. to enable this, if necessary.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS810EMX force lower uplink speed

No. By IEEE specs, any Ethernet link from 1G and up is under mandatory auto-negotiation.

The settings allow only 10M-HD, 10M-FD, 100M-HD, 100M-FD, 

Message 2 of 3
Jessica56
Aspirant

Re: GS810EMX force lower uplink speed

Download speed 7.6, upload speed 31.2, other laptop and phones on network normal. Updated all drivers, BIOS and ran hardware checks, all.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7