× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP Gateway already has IGMP Proxy (Need support with my S8000)

DeadEd38
Follower

ISP Gateway already has IGMP Proxy (Need support with my S8000)

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong category. First time poster here. So I finally got my ISP out here to fix things up and got a jack installed in my room and whatnot, but I'm hesitant to hook up the S8000 when I've already got IGMP snooping settings and the like. Now, to be fair, I can turn disable "Configure IGMP Proxy" under WAN IP Addressing, but I'm unsure as to whether this totally turns off all IGMP settings since there is in fact a separate tab for these settings. So I suppose my questions are, 1. Can I set up the S8000 if I simply turn off the configure IGMP Proxy feature? 2. If unfortunately not, if anybody is more of expert than me (which evidently isn't that difficult regardless if you know), what would be ideal settings for gaming in the following picture on the Xbox One X? and finally 3. If by good graces I can set up my S8000, what are ideal settings on there for gaming? I will just be using ports 8 and 1. My philosophy is screw everything except the console for the record lol.

I really appreciate any help y'all can give. I know a little bit, and I'm pretty sure I can just disable the IGMP proxy on the ISP gateway, but I want to be 100% sure before I proceed, and know if it's even worth it. Thanks a bunch guys.

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: ISP Gateway already has IGMP Proxy (Need support with my S8000)

If the ISP does supply IPTV which might make use of IGMP Multicast (about the only reason why there should be an IGMP Proxy on the _router_ - this is between the WAN/Internet and the LAN/WLAN) for live TV, plus the IGMP Snooping on the router internal switch/bridge prohibiting that IPTV Multicast or any internal IGMP Multicast sourced streams are flooding the router built-in switch ports and wireless SSIDs and radios ... levae the router settings as it is. This is probably preconfigured by the iSP anyway - strange an ISP offering IPTV does give the user access to these controls at all.

Not sure wher you picked up the idea the S8000 (GS808E) does have a IGMP Proxy - there is none, mainly because it's a L2 switch only.

The GS808E does have the ability for handling IGMP Snooping for the switch ports (and for one VLAN). This does again avoid that IGMP Multicast stream (e.g. from the ISP IPTV to TV STB connected to the GS808E is flooding all switch ports. Enable it for the normal base VLAN - and you are fine. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7