× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing network access (GS308E)

dedgington44
Aspirant

Losing network access (GS308E)

At 3 am our router renews it's DHCP lease everyday. After that I lose connection to the internet on all devices plugged into the switch. I assume it's because the IP address doesn't match anymore. Is there a setting I can change to automatically sync the switch after the router renews?
Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Losing network access (GS308E)

@dedgington44 wrote:
At 3 am our router renews it's DHCP lease everyday.

This is something between the ISP and our router WAN/Internet port...

@dedgington44 wrote:
After that I lose connection to the internet on all devices plugged into the switch. I assume it's because the IP address doesn't match anymore.

The IP config has the only purpose for having the switch accessible for the configuration. It's not involved in the L2 switching at all.

@dedgington44 wrote:
Is there a setting I can change to automatically sync the switch after the router renews?

Where is this switch located exactly - on the LAN side of your router? 

Please note such a switch does not replace a NAT router.

Message 2 of 4
dedgington44
Aspirant

LAN side of the router.
Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

A little bit confused.

Usually, a so-called forced disconnect happens eg. every 24 hours on the WAN/Internet side. This does lead to a new IP on the WAN side.

Very different, a DHCP client (as used on the LAN side) does assign an IP config for the total configured lease time the moment the device is connected. At half of the lease time, a DHCP refresh is done. If this does not succeed, the network config remains in place for the second half of the lease time. A refresh does not lead to a disconnection.

Unless there was a power failure or all devices have been started around of the same time, it's unlikely that this does happen at the same time.

Hard to say more, pack of any insight.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7