× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem to Nighthawk S8000 to X10 with Link Aggregation

Cheeky73
Aspirant

Modem to Nighthawk S8000 to X10 with Link Aggregation

Newbie here in first stages of creating media networking setup:

3000 long flat sq/ft house with Nighthawk X10 too far away from media room and other rooms needing wifi.  Looking to see if we can attach S8000 to SB8200 modem then create an aggregate link between the NightHawk S8000 and X10 which would then be centrally located in the center of the house and in direct line of site to media room.  In addition, we would like to attach our Aurora 7 to the S8000 via ethernet.  After that the 2nd stage would be to extend the wifi signal further both from the location of the X10 and the location of the modem to the garage via UAP-AC-PROs.

Question:

Can I do the First Stage without any additional routers and everything would work simultaneously without creating a drag on the system?  If the Aggregate Link is the right way to go would you recommend manual or LACP?

Thank you so much.  

Model: S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Not convinced I get the full picture of this proposal.

First, the modem does unlikely support any kind of port trunking/bonding/LAG.

Second, the R9000 does not support different VLANs on the same trunk. 

To the extend I think I understand, the idea is having a port trunk/bond/LAG between the modem location and the R9000 location, allowing to carry the Internet (WAN) side in a VLAN as well as the (W)LAN to be extended from the R9000 to near of the Modem.

With two CAT[5A|6|7|x] cables (four pairs each you can simply use one to connect the Modem to the router WAN port (for the Internet side of things), and a second one for the (W)LAN side of things.

With two managed switches, you might be able to create a VLAN trunk over the LAG and fan-out the VLANs to individual ports resp. wireless APs (requiring PoE probably, too) - unclear for now if and why this would be an enhancement. Of course, when connecting many WLAN APs out there, and using (or planning) the latest WLAN technology, there might be a little bit of an advantage. But soon the single GbE or a dual GbE LAG can pushed to it's limits.

Message 2 of 3
Cheeky73
Aspirant

So, I still not sure I'm right, but I've decided to use a Netgear modem and connect that to X10 to a S8000 and link that to another X10 acting as an AP.  The idea is for load balancing of media streaming and prioritization with multiple streaming TVs, ipads, and one person on the computer all at the same time.  And music streaming in the garage too.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7