× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Neatgear 5-port gigabit ethernet smart managed plus switch

Willy33
Follower

Neatgear 5-port gigabit ethernet smart managed plus switch

Bought the 5-port gifabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch, worked for about 3 months and stopped.

I called my cable provider, but they were no help.

I use the swir=tch to split my PC and Mac, from the router.

I went and bought the same switch from Staples (they only have a two week return policy) and it does not split at all.

Any suggestions how i can get it to split again (I am planning to return thre new switch, since it still under 2 weeks.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Neatgear 5-port gigabit ethernet smart managed plus switch

Are you convinced the cable provided (?) device is a Cable Modem _and_ Router? The point is that the ISP only issue one, sometimes two, public IP addresses on a modem port - intended to drive either one computer or one NAT router only.

@Willy33 wrote:

Bought the 5-port gifabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch, worked for about 3 months and stopped.

Hard to tell which exact model (see label - GSnnn for example) you talk of. Most Netgear switches are coming with a life time warranty, some more consumer oriented with a consumer warranty of one or two years according to local legislation.

@Willy33 wrote:

I went and bought the same switch from Staples (they only have a two week return policy) and it does not split at all.

Suspect nothing broken, see above. Double check your cable box is a router allowing to connect multiple devices without adding a router. Check the connected and working as well the non-working computer LAN IP address and reply with these here. Convinced you will see one public IP, and one ZeroConf 169.254.0.0/16 network which can't be routed obviously.

PS. Unlucky term by the way, an Ethernet switch never splits anything. There are some cheepo non-switches in the market claiming to be Ethernet splitters - technically "Y-cable". when reading the fine print they tell us that you can either plug and use one or the other device only.  

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7