× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Some Direction / Help To Ensure I Set Up S8000 Correctly

B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

Need Some Direction / Help To Ensure I Set Up S8000 Correctly

I want to be sure I get the full capabilities of the Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch, and need some direction / help to ensure I achieve what the S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch is intented for.  

Current Setup: Cable (200Mbps ~ 12Mbps) / Modem (Motorola SB6180) / Router (XR500)

I currently have two (2) HP Pro Curve switches (unmanaged) as part of my home networking setup (Modem - Router - Switch 1 - Switch 2).  I have one switch on the main level of my home (connected to back of router), and the second switch in the loft (second level) of my home (connected to back of switch on main level of home).  The reason I have two switches is I want some of my networking devices to be wired, specifcially the Xbox One S in the loft (connected to switch on second level).  

What would be the BEST configuration with adding the Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch to my home network?  Should I connect both HP Pro Curve switches to the back of the S8000?  Will plugging both HP Pro Curve switches into the back of the S8000 provide all devices connected to both HP Pro Curve switches full benefits / capabilites of the S8000?

Thanks for taking time to reply and provide direction / help.  Smiley Happy

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need Some Direction / Help To Ensure I Set Up S8000 Correctly

Modem>Router>S8000><game consoles to the S8000.

<>All other switches off different port on back of router. HP Switches are solid and good switches.

Message 2 of 5
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem>Router>S8000><game consoles to the S8000.

<>All other switches off different port on back of router. HP Switches are solid and good switches.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, I won't be able to connect the Xbox One S console (in loft - second level of home) to the back of the S8000.  I currently have just one ethernet cable going from HP Pro Curve switch (main level of home) to HP Pro Curve switch (second level of home - Loft).  I'd have to run a second ethernet cable to achieve your recommened configuration.

I initially was going to connect my Xbox One X directly to the back of the XR500 (main level of home), and the Xbox One S (second level of home - Loft) to the back of the S8000 via the HP Pro Curve switch.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 3 of 5
cécé
Guide

bonjour 

pour savoir si je connecte la ps4 a l'arriere du s8000, est ce que je pourrai toujours beneficier des avantagges duxr500 pour son gaming et son qos?

merci pour votre reponse

Message 4 of 5
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

Bonjour

Je ne suis pas sûr, mais je suppose que oui. Vous voudrez peut-être demander dans les forums XR500. Je suis presque certain que quelqu'un dans ces forums serait en mesure de donner une réponse.

I'm not sure, but I would assume so. You might want to ask over in the XR500 forums. I'm almost certain that someone in those forums would be able to give an answer.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7