× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need advice on switch for home network

PTJOHNS100
Follower

Need advice on switch for home network

I currently have a GS716V2.  I did not need all the features of that switch but I don't want the new switch to have a negative impact on the network's performance.  That switch is a 16 port switch, but  I think I can get by with 10 ports.  I was thinking of getting an SX10 switch, but because it is $200, I want to know how much performance would I lose if I simply got a GS316 switch which is $50.  I have several other switches on the network including an S8000, but currently do not need over 1G.  I just want to get the best performance switch for a large home network.

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Need advice on switch for home network

I've had great results with unmanaged switches. I can hit wired gigabit speeds in my house on any of mine. And they're nothing special. I've got 1 managed gs716t like you do and then 2x unmanaged gigabit switches. one netgear and one tplink. can't even remember what model because I rarely mess with them. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need advice on switch for home network

@PTJOHNS100 wrote:

I was thinking of getting an SX10 switch, but because it is $200, I want to know how much performance would I lose if I simply got a GS316 switch which is $50.

The higher price tag for the SX10 is coming from the higher total switch capacity and the two MultiGig/10 ports, and to some extent also from the hardware design allowing to run the unit fanless (as MultiGig and especially 10G does create much more heat than a Gigabit port.

Going away from a Smart Managed Pro switch like the GS716T to a non-managed switch is giving up the monitoring and management capabilities.

Also not sure what's the idea replacing a 1G by yet another 1G Ethernet switch.

When re-designing advanced home networks, we prefer to create at least a 10G backhaul, and ideally have some MultiGig/10G ports for storage, faster worksation(s). Of course this all depends on customer requirements, the future-proof investment, ... considering fast Internet connections are nowadays in the range between 1G/bs and 10Gb/s. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7