× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Gaming SX-10 Switch 10GBE Heat Issues? gs810emx

DR9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk Gaming SX-10 Switch 10GBE Heat Issues? gs810emx

Hi All-

Looking for some help here. Here is my setup, SUPER basic, nothing fancy.

Router -> Netgear Switch -> PC 10GBE & NAS 10GBE NICs

I plug in the PC/NAS to the SX-10 swtch's 10GBE ports (1/2) and everything is default and DHCP. After about 30mins to an hour the switch 'disconnects everything until I unplug it and wait then turn it back on. On further checking the switch gets very hot so I assume its overheating and shutting down. I move the PC/NAS cables over to 1GBE ports and everything is smooth as butter and no heat at all on the switch.

This is a brand new unit, so I went a borrowed a friends Mikrotik 4port 10GBE switch and it does the samething. After about 30mins gets real hot and disconnects everything until its reset and cooled a bit.

I dont want to not use the SX-10 switch its perfect for me or even return it. Anyone know why it gets so hot?  How can I fix this? What is causing it? Is this normal and the switch is cheaply built for expelling heat?

Thanks!

Model: GS810EMX|10 Port Nighthawk 10-Multigigabit Uplinks Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Using both the GS810EMX (SX-10) and it's GS110EMX sibling with 24*7 10 GbE links up. Both run on the warmer/hot side, no doubts, but both models are rock solid, also over the last summer.  Aside, the GS810EMX is running cooler than the GS110EMX here - much better heat dissipation than the common metal wrap switch enclosure.

• Idle or full 10 GbE load until failure?
  • Cable installation, total cable length?
  • What devices are connected (PC 10Gb interface, NAS model)?
  • Environment temperature?
  • Located in free air flow, not on top of or very near to other hot operating devices, ...?

As the other vendor small 10GbE switch shows similar issues it's unlikley a one-off hardware issue - or you operate it at a very hot location.

Message 2 of 5
DR9
Aspirant
Aspirant

• Idle or full 10 GbE load until failure?

Idle, I would just be surfing the net doing normal things and poop dropped.

• Cable installation, total cable length?

2x Cat 7 - 10ft each cable. 1x for PC 1x for NAS and a 1x Cat 6 cable from a 1gbe port to router.

• What devices are connected (PC 10Gb interface, NAS model)?

PC has a ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter Pci-E X4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port

NAS has a Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 2 RJ45 Ports (E10G18-T2) - NAS Model - DS3617xs

• Environment temperature?

Nice chill room, never hot. Under like 70 degrees mostly.

• Located in free air flow, not on top of or very near to other hot operating devices, ...?

Attached under my profile name  is a picture of it. Totally air free surroundings. From the picture I'm just using the 1gbe ports and no issues.

Let me know!

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Complete obscure. Test using one 10G port only, either to the PC or to the Syno and see if the beast does shut-down in one of the combinations, too.. 

While talking -  IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet.is enabled? And all flow control disabled? Current firmware is granted, your information is that complete.

Message 4 of 5
DR9
Aspirant
Aspirant

While talking - IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet.is enabled?

I checked on the Switch and it was disabled, so I enabled it.

And all flow control disabled?

Yes, all ports have Flow control disabled.

Current firmware is granted, your information is that complete.

Switch has latest firmware, PC has latest NIC driver, NAS's DSM is updated to newest and Router is latestly also latest.

I have just the PC plugged in and will run it for a bit then swap to just the NAS and see how our suggestion works.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7