× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 10GB connections router vs. switch

TigerAlum
Aspirant

Nighthawk 10GB connections router vs. switch

I've been upgrading my equipment lately and got an SX10 switch, which I love!  I have a computer with 10GB connection and a NAS with link aggregation.  

It's time to look for a new WiFi router and I've been looking at the XR700 since I like the SX10 so much.  I noticed the XR700's 10GB port is SFP+ while the SX10's ports are ethernet.  This doesn't seem to make too much sense - within the same family of routers, we can't easily interface the 10GB ports?  I admit 10GB interfaces are new to me, but I can't find a cable that converts SFP+ to Ethernet.  I see some adapters, but those add both cost and potential fail points.  Am I missing something here, or did Netgear overlook this difference?  How are people connecting an XR700 to SX10 via 10GB?  Thanks!

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, SX10| Pro Gaming Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk 10GB connections router vs. switch

@TigerAlum wrote:

I noticed the XR700's 10GB port is SFP+ while the SX10's ports are ethernet.  This doesn't seem to make too much sense - within the same family of routers, we can't easily interface the 10GB ports?

Ha, almost the first time I'm reading this. Had asked Netgear the similar question during the SX10 Beta test, but back then in the context of the R9000 (X10), the very similar hardware platform as the XR700. 

@TigerAlum wrote:

How are people connecting an XR700 to SX10 via 10GB?

We're using Netgear AXM765 resp. 3rd party 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 30m Transceiver Modules, like the MikroTik S+RJ10 (almost a bargain!) or the FS.com one. Disadvantage of all these modules is that the 10 Gb Ethernet reach is limited to about 35 meters (limited power available on the SFP/SFP+ interface). And these modules are (with 10 GbE) using a lot of power resp. are creating a lot of heat.

Message 2 of 6
TigerAlum
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Ha, almost the first time I'm reading this. Had asked Netgear the similar question during the SX10 Beta test, but back then in the context of the R9000 (X10), the very similar hardware platform as the XR700. 

What did Netgear say then?  It seems like a huge engineering blunder to me.  At least pick one interface and stick with it - or intentionally include both, but don't mix within the same product line!

@schumaku wrote:

We're using Netgear AXM765 resp. 3rd party 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 30m Transceiver Modules, like the MikroTik S+RJ10 (almost a bargain!) or the FS.com one. Disadvantage of all these modules is that the 10 Gb Ethernet reach is limited to about 35 meters (limited power available on the SFP/SFP+ interface). And these modules are (with 10 GbE) using a lot of power resp. are creating a lot of heat.

I can live with the short distances as the router and switch will be within 3 feet of each other.  What I don't like is an additional $60 (minimum) to be able to maximize the functionality of 2 pieces of equipment from the same product line of a company.  Yeah, I get that even with the 10GB port on the XR700 working, that it only has 6 gigabit ports and only 2 can aggregate.  But if I have the equipment for that bandwidth, why punish the folks that spend a lot of money on the best equipment?

Honestly, I'm not sure the adapter is worth it, which is a shame.  I can put all of the link aggregation stuff on the SX10, and utilize the 2 10GB ports all on that switch.  If that is what Netgear wants, anyway, why not just leave off the SFP+ connection?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Well, two different (independent!) business units there ... consumer routers vs. business switches ... Nighthawk is more branding and marketing. For the X10/XR700 adding a 10GBase-T would push up the BoM, while adding a shared SFP+ on the MUI wold be less expensive, but then I feel that they have not really had the compatibility in mind when the switches were introduced.

Keep in mind that we had to push a lot to get the static LAG config option on the X10 (R9000) to be compatible with the Nighthawk S8000 (GS808E) static LAG (as there is no LACP available on the GS808E - different from the GS810EMX). 

Message 4 of 6
TigerAlum
Aspirant

Two different, independent units?  Sounds like a better Project Manager is needed or a reorganization!  I'm stunned that this decision was made, given how the same audience is the intended target for both devices.  May go with the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300.  That 10GB port was a distinguishing factor, and having the managed switches manufactured by the same company was appealing.  Oh well, this stinks.  Maybe Netgear should include a free SFP+ to RJ-45 cable/adapter to encourage brand loyalty?

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Well, you ask the similar questions I have never got answered, too. We've deployed SFP+-DAC connected 10GbE switches initially (like the XS708E) along with the R9000 since it appeared 2017 - long before the Nighthawk switches appeared. I could think of some much better integration of the Nighthawk switches with the leading edge Nighthawk and Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers by the way, too - true integration, single management UI, ... yet another lost opportunity. But again, believe me - switches and consumer routers come from two different business units. And they never had the idea that these products could be used together... Now I shut up.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7