× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk S8000 (GS808e) Preventing Xbox 360 System Link

thisguy82
Aspirant

Nighthawk S8000 (GS808e) Preventing Xbox 360 System Link

I have two Xbox 360s that can't connect via System Link when there is a Nighthawk S8000 switch between them.  With any other switch, they are able to connect.  The games show up in the System Link list, but are unable to connect due to a network error that is ambiguous form the Xbox 360.

I have isolated this problem to the S8000 switch (which is, ironically, for gaming).   I have the most recent firmware (1.0.2.3). I have tried disabling IGMP snooping and ensuring that the ports have high traffic priority.  I have tried every (of the few available) setting in the web interface with no change.  I believe there needs to be a firmware update to deal with the issue.

Model: S8000| Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

No practical experience with the Xbox 360 System Link - AFAIK there heavy multicast involved. Therefore, keep IGMP Snooping On, but keep Block Unknown Multicast Address Off and Validate IGMPv3 Header Off.

Message 2 of 8
thisguy82
Aspirant

I have tried it with those settings, I believe they are the defaults, to no avail. The only way I was able to make it work was to put a different switch in place of the S8000.

You are correct that System Link uses a lot of multicast. I find it ironic that a "gaming" switch is keeping me from gaming. It needs a firmware update to address the issue, which I assume comes from it either blocking or altering some of the packets.
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

OK, we need some assistance here Xavier, Laurent, or Bradley ... not sure who's baby the GS808E is.

Message 4 of 8
thisguy82
Aspirant

Any response from a Netgear technician?

Message 5 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi there

The Nighthawk Pro Gaming switches are Xavi's but he's on the road, let me post an update: we are aware of the issue and our Engineering team is on it. We are having trouble to setup the environment to recreate the problem since the “system link” is no longer supported on newer Xbox systems.

Xavi will update us as soon as he can.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi again

Here is latest update from our Engineering lab, we are making good progress.

The protocol “System Link” is for Xbox 360 multiple devices in local network environment, and this is no longer supported on Xbox One. Here is the guide of “System Link”: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/console/connect-system-link-play

During the game, one Xbox will send specific UDP packets to other Xbox with the same source and destination IP address 0.0.0.1, which hits the switch DoS rule and these packets get dropped.

Engineering team verified this issue with other Smart Managed Plus switches as well. We are now working on test firmware allowing Denial of Service protection to be disabled, and we will verify it to make sure it was the root cause. 

Please stay tuned. As soon as this is verified, we will let you know. If you are sending your contact details by Private Message to us, we will share the beta firmware with you, then. This way you could help us test before we publish official new maintenance release firmware.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

The test firmware is ready with DoS feature configurable, and turned off. I have received your email address via PM and our Engineering team is going to send the beta firmware to you, today. Please let us know how it goes!

We verified it in our lab already, we hope it will work in your environment just fine. After proper internal and external testing, this will be implemented in future public firmware releases. Ideally, the Gaming Preset should take care of Auto-DoS Prevention, while the feature remains configurable.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7