× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk S8000 Link Aggregation

Cheeky73
Aspirant

Nighthawk S8000 Link Aggregation

Probably a ridiculous newbie question, but I want to make sure I do this right and going to ask anyways.  Directions online at least say to not have any of the ethernet cables attached to the switch and the router before the LAG is setup.. Am I taking that too literally?!  Because I don't see how I could possibly login into my switch otherwise.  I tried connecting modem to switch, but then I have no internet connection to my computer and my computer only has one ethernet port so not able to come back and plug into the switch without the router.

Do they mean no ethernet cables or don't hook up both cables to the ports you want to aggregate before you actually aggregate them?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Just start with one connection (pretty difficult otherwise, eh?) - it's about to avoid any unwanted network loops and broadcast storms, so the network does virtually become non-manageable.

Message 2 of 4
Cheeky73
Aspirant

I'm sorry, can you REALLY dumb it down for me by simply answering these idiot questions instead of making fun of me:

1)Do I first configure my router?

2)Do I next configure my switch BY plugging into the router with ONE cable?

If so on Question 2 does it matter which port I use?  

Thank you

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, no pun intended.

@Cheeky73 wrote:

1)Do I first configure my router?  

If you want to be on the very save side, keep the two aggregation ports on the router and the two ports you intend to configure for the trunk free. 

@Cheeky73 wrote:

2)Do I next configure my switch BY plugging into the router with ONE cable? 

Use a different connection using ports not invovled for trunking/aggregation/bonding. Enable the aggregation on the router, and configure the trunk/bonding on the switch.

@Cheeky73 wrote:

If so on Question 2 does it matter which port I use?   

Once the aggregation/trunk port pairs are configured, disconnect the cable used for the set-up, and connect the related trunk port pairs (the sequencedoes not matter) by two cables.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7