× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk S8000 Switch auto link speed goes 1000M for PS4 but 100M for PC, please kindly help

MondayL
Aspirant

Nighthawk S8000 Switch auto link speed goes 1000M for PS4 but 100M for PC, please kindly help

As titled, just got an S8000 switch and learned the speed needs set as auto to get 1000M speed. The firmware is v1.7.0.7. It automatically provide 1000M to my PS4 pro but 100M to my PC no matter how I play with those settings. The PC has Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller so I assume it should support gigabit speed. The cable is Cat7 and has been tried on PS4 pro and got 1000M. I do not really know what to do so I can make the PC get 1000M link speed. When I do speed test both up and down are capped at 100M as indicated by the switch. Please kindly help. Thanks!

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk S8000 Switch auto link speed goes 1000M for PS4 but 100M for PC, please kindly help

Does the PC Ethernet negotiate - with the same cable - to 1000M (Gigabit Ethernet) on another switch port, e.g. direct on the router LAN port?

Check if the Realtek PCIe inerfce isn't configured to max 100 Mb/s in the Windows device properties.

Common reason for fall-back to 100M (Fast Ethernet) are cable or cable installation errors, either wires not correct on the pins, pairs not correct on the pairs as required, or one strand or one pair is not workable. Try a different cable.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Does the PC Ethernet negotiate - with the same cable - to 1000M (Gigabit Ethernet) on another switch port, e.g. direct on the router LAN port?

Check if the Realtek PCIe inerfce isn't configured to max 100 Mb/s in the Windows device properties.

Common reason for fall-back to 100M (Fast Ethernet) are cable or cable installation errors, either wires not correct on the pins, pairs not correct on the pairs as required, or one strand or one pair is not workable. Try a different cable.

Message 2 of 4
MondayL
Aspirant

You were completely correct. It turned out the PS4 pro can recognize Cat7 cable for gigabit while the PC NIC can not. Just got a cat6 cable this morning and it works well.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@MondayL wrote:

It turned out the PS4 pro can recognize Cat7 cable for gigabit while the PC NIC can not. Just got a cat6 cable this morning and it works well.

Happy that the new cable works for the job - however, the CAT7 vs. CAT6 idea must be wrong. The CAT7 cable must have an issue....

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7