× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk S8000 inaccessible

jimbo1man
Aspirant

Nighthawk S8000 inaccessible

Problem:

I picked up a S8000 to provide the first segment in my home network, coming off of an Ubiquity ERLITE-3 (which replaces my GFNB), and wanted some of the advantages of port level QoS and VLAN support while keeping the ERLITE at ~ 1G/s up/down.

Initial working config:  ERLITE >>> GS808e >>> home network (port 1 to unmanaged GS608 connecting my home PC's, port 2 to shield TV for media streaming, port 3 to primary puck in Google WIFI network, and port 4 to PS4).  This worked for about a week.  

This morning, I went to start assigning statics to my wired devices, and was going to do the switch last.  I had access control set up to only allow access to the switch from one of two PC's on the same subnet (192.168.1.x).  As I was updating access control on the switich, the UI in the browser (chrome) spun, got a comm error in a modal window in foreground that grayed the switch UI in the background that I don't recall) AFTER I updated the access control entries to the NEW IP's on those same PC's on the same subnet (from 192.168.1.201 and 202 to 192.168.1.10 and 11).  Once I closed the foreground window, the switch was completely inaccessible.

Actions taken so far:  Hard reset (~ 15 x!).  Used an IP scanner to find the IP assigned to the switch (192.168.1.126), and I can ping it, so I'm hopeful.  But if I load that IP into a browser, I get 'site can't be reached'.  I've also updated the IP's on both PC's that were originally listed in access control for the switch to both old and new IP's, still no joy. 

If anyone's got any suggestions, I'm all ears.  This is really stopping a bunch of other network work I was hoping to get done soon.  Thanks, in advance!!

~ Jim

Model: S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 3
jimbo1man
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk S8000 inaccessible

Current config: 

GFNB 192.168.1.1

GS608 (unmanaged)

GS808e (192.168.1.126?)

My PC (192.168.1.10 static)

Update: replaced the ERLITE with the GFNB, just easier to manage for what I'm trying to do (I only have CLI access to the ERLITE, not sure why - next problem to solve).  GFNB (192.168.1.1) doesn't show an IP for the switch, so I'm not sure how the switch thinks it has one.  I did previously assign the switch a static at 192.168.1.2, and it worked perfectly.   It thinks it has 192.168.1.126, confirmed both by Netgear's switch With my machine at 192.168.1.10, I can ping the switch at 192.168.1.126, but I've yet to access the admin page with any browser, regardless of security settings or whether the machine is connected directly (all ports) or through another switch, or at the router.  

Model: S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk S8000 inaccessible

Routers are poor when it comes to reliable detection of their connected network devices, unless it has assigned the device a network config by DHCP, I would not worry. 

You can try the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool _or_ the ProSafe Plus Utility to discover the S8000 ... if I have it right, the later one does also allow to change the IP to a static config (this might be worth a try, especially if the config might be messed) or DHCP. Worth mentioning that these (and some other vendor utility, like QNAP or Synology NAS discovery, other IoT discovery programs) are mutually exclusive and can't run concurrently, ans the replies from the device might not reach the correct program.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7