× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk s8000 slowing dl and ul speeds

Grizzlydean
Aspirant

So i have just got a nighthawk s8000, i have a cat 5 cable running from downstairs where the router is to the switch (20m) and then have my xbox and pc plugged in.

Ive set the switch to have the xbox and pc unrestricted, but for some reason its cutting my download speed and upload speed.

On wifi or with out the switch i average around 50mb and 17 upload, but with the switch im down in the 30's and only a max of 6 upload!

Can anyone help to why its not getting a decent speed?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Chadesh
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk s8000 slowing dl and ul speeds

probely the same thing that is happening to other nighthawk style of routers. The firmware update messed something up and netgear either can't figure out what's broken or they just refuse to acknowledge an issue. I have a nighthawk 6700v3 and every since I updated to the newest version my router slows down to a crawl after about 3 days and I loose my internet and can't do anything untill I reboot the unit.

I have see 2 issues relating to firmware update, one is the one I have and the other is yours. Netgear just needs to fix these issues or people will just start using other routers.

Message 2 of 6
Grizzlydean
Aspirant

Saying that my internet does dip offline for around 1-2mins now and again, but i thought that was just down to only having bt for a few days. Maybe its the switch then..

Im half tempted to return it and get another brand tbf
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Grizzlydean wrote:
On wifi or with out the switch i average around 50mb and 17 upload, but with the switch im down in the 30's and only a max of 6 upload!

It's a plain common Gigabit switch - almost impossible to have such an impact on the performance.

@Grizzlydean wrote:
Saying that my internet does dip offline for around 1-2mins now and again, but i thought that was just down to only having bt for a few days. Maybe its the switch then..

Probably a broken hardware.

Ensure your S8000 switch firmware is current, just in case -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS808E.aspx#download

Do a factory reset, and run the switch on the default profile and retest.

Message 4 of 6
Grizzlydean
Aspirant

Switch is definitely up to date,
Reset to factory settings.
On switch i get download: 64 upload: 6
Not on switch, download: 65 upload: 18

So upload speed definitely down on switch
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Strange - operating these switches in 1GbE/10GbE environments absolute flawless 1Gb performance.

Message 6 of 6