× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Internet After Connecting GS808E Switch to Router

DonPachuco
Tutor

No Internet After Connecting GS808E Switch to Router

I need some expert help.  I have spent too many hours resetting things to default, trying to reconfigure things, plugging and unplugging cables, etc.  Whilst I have multiple devices in the house, all the PC's in the house are on Windows 10, not that it should matter.  Here is my list of components in my home network:

1. Modem:  Netgear CM600 Cable Modem (service provided by Spectrum)
  2. Router:  Asus RT-AC3200
  3. Switch:  Netgear GS808E (Nighthawk S8000)

Brief history:  PC connected directly to modem, works/have internet connection.  Router connected to modem/PC connected to router, works both wired and wireless.  Introduce the Nighthawk S8000 (or either of the other two switches I have at home), no internet anywhere.  

I assumed that adding a switch to the mix, to expand my network would be fairly easy/plug and play.  A crappy TrendNET 5-port switch worked previously, when I had AT&T Uverse, and some ports worked on the crappy 8-port Monoprice switch that I had.

Yes, modem is connected to WAN port on router.  Yes, port 1 on router is connected to port 8 on switch.  I have enabled jumbo frame on the router under "Switch Control" as well.  I have tried rebooting and resetting things.  I have tried powering up the router first, then the switch, and tried powering up the switch, and then the router.  I find it odd that using any of the switches results in the same thing, no connectivity...  Every cable is CAT 6e, and are of same manufacturer and length.  I'm not a moron, and consider myself to be somewhat tech savvy, but either I'm stupid, or really over thinking this.  I'm sure no one is going to have that exact same setup, but perhaps someone has run into a similar issue.  I have tried working with tech support from both Netgear and Asus, but they only offer very "basic" suggestions, and say that it "should work".  Router is less than a year into ownership, and is on the latest firmware.  Modem and switch are under a week old.

Please advise, and let me know if more information is needed.  I have 7 devices that I wanted wired, and have nothing to them now.  Thank you!

Model: S8000| Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @DonPachuco,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I agree that the GS808E should get an IP Address from the DHCP server (your  Asus RT-AC3200 router) by default but in your case, it seemed that it did not.  It would be best to set a static IP address to the GS808E switch that is within the IP Address range of your existing local area network for ease of management.  

Kindly follow the steps below:

Note: Be sure that you know the IP Address range of your existing local area network.

1. Disconnect the GS808E switch from your existing network. 

2. Connect a PC directly to any LAN port of the GS808E switch.  For now, only the PC and the GS808E switch are connected to each other.  

3. Set a static IP Address of 192.168.0.210 on the PC.

4. Open a browser then type on the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 and press Enter.  The login page should appear.  Enter 'password' as the password without the quotation marks. 

Note: The default IP Address of the GS808E switch is 192.168.0.239. 

5. The Home page should appear once your logged-in.  Select IP Address.

6. Click the button in the DHCP section. The button displays white, which indicates that the DHCP client of the switch is disabled.  Observe that the IP address fields become editable.

7. On the fields provided, enter the static IP address that you want to assign to the GS808E switch that is within the IP Address range of your existing local area network, the associated Subnet Mask and Gateway IP address.

8. Click Apply.  You will now lose access to the web-GUI of the GS808E switch since the IP Address of it has been changed.

9. Set back your PC to 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically.'

10. Connect the LAN port of the Asus RT-AC3200 router to a LAN port of the GS808E switch. 

11. Connect a PC to another LAN port of the GS808E switch.  This PC should be able to get an IP address from the DHCP server (your  Asus RT-AC3200 router) and should be able to access the web-GUI of the GS808E switch (using the static IP address assigned to it). 

As reference, kindly read pages 16-17 of the GS808E user manual here about Setting Up a Fixed IP Address for the Switch By Connecting Directly to the Switch Off-Network.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

Did you set up the switch since the GS808E is a smart switch ?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS808E.aspx

above is the link to the support page most of the switch you buy in the stores are not smart switches and require no set up however the one you have is different more then just a switch and somewhere less then a router.

Message 2 of 7
DonPachuco
Tutor

I changed no settings on the switch, so was whatever the settings were as a default. According to the link and the manual, out of the box, it should get address from dhcp server, which is the router. There should be nothing to configure.
Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @DonPachuco,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I agree that the GS808E should get an IP Address from the DHCP server (your  Asus RT-AC3200 router) by default but in your case, it seemed that it did not.  It would be best to set a static IP address to the GS808E switch that is within the IP Address range of your existing local area network for ease of management.  

Kindly follow the steps below:

Note: Be sure that you know the IP Address range of your existing local area network.

1. Disconnect the GS808E switch from your existing network. 

2. Connect a PC directly to any LAN port of the GS808E switch.  For now, only the PC and the GS808E switch are connected to each other.  

3. Set a static IP Address of 192.168.0.210 on the PC.

4. Open a browser then type on the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 and press Enter.  The login page should appear.  Enter 'password' as the password without the quotation marks. 

Note: The default IP Address of the GS808E switch is 192.168.0.239. 

5. The Home page should appear once your logged-in.  Select IP Address.

6. Click the button in the DHCP section. The button displays white, which indicates that the DHCP client of the switch is disabled.  Observe that the IP address fields become editable.

7. On the fields provided, enter the static IP address that you want to assign to the GS808E switch that is within the IP Address range of your existing local area network, the associated Subnet Mask and Gateway IP address.

8. Click Apply.  You will now lose access to the web-GUI of the GS808E switch since the IP Address of it has been changed.

9. Set back your PC to 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically.'

10. Connect the LAN port of the Asus RT-AC3200 router to a LAN port of the GS808E switch. 

11. Connect a PC to another LAN port of the GS808E switch.  This PC should be able to get an IP address from the DHCP server (your  Asus RT-AC3200 router) and should be able to access the web-GUI of the GS808E switch (using the static IP address assigned to it). 

As reference, kindly read pages 16-17 of the GS808E user manual here about Setting Up a Fixed IP Address for the Switch By Connecting Directly to the Switch Off-Network.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
DonPachuco
Tutor

@DaneA Thank you so much!  Your suggestion and the way you laid it out was great.  I have everything working now thanks to you.  Much appreciated!

Model: Nighthawk S8000| GS808E Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DonPachuco

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that everything is working now at your end. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
DonPachuco
Tutor

Yeah, I remember reading that info, and I know it was mentioned somewhat before, but since I over think things, I got stupid from the frustration. I still find it odd that if by default the dhcp is enabled, and it wasn't getting a connection. But it's all good now. I also found out that my friend who plugged some stuff in while I lifted my bundle of cables/wires to push my media center back against the wall, had created a loop. Idiot had 2 or 3 connections from switch to router. So now I have to pull the console back out, and make sure that everything has a switch to device cable connection. Just more practice I guess... Lol! Now to just run more cable, so I can further free up the wifi and have as much as possible hard wired. Thanks again! If I can buy you a coffee or something, drop me message with an email. Have a good one!
Model: Nighthawk S8000| GS808E Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7