× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 is unable to see sx10 as a switch

CDCBR3
Guide

R8000 is unable to see sx10 as a switch

My R8000 router reports my SX10 (GS810emx) as a printer and auto sets to low priority.

I bought this "Pro Gaming" switch to work with my Nighthawk router, due to the fact it specifically stated that it integrates with Nighthawk routers. (well it does if you dont mind a low priority printer connection).

Also the Netgear Genie (Mac/PC) and the Nighthawk app only see the Router. 

The router i on an older firmware (due to removal of DNLA) and the switch is latest (downloaded yesterday).

Anyone else have suggestions/ideas/same issue?

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

No idea if the newer or current firmware QoS would detect the switch right. Isn't there an option to change the port to highest on the R8000?

Message 2 of 8
CDCBR3
Guide

I have tried to set the Priority through the app and also through the web interface and it keeps changing back to Printerand Low

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

That sounds bad - however there is not much I can help you on the Nighthawk end - @Christian_R probably? But then the OP does need a fix for the faux QoS detection while keeping DLNA....fear that's asked to much from the consumer BU. 

Message 4 of 8
CDCBR3
Guide

I am tinking of just going ahead and updating to latest firmware on the x6, see if its just due to old firmware.

I have another way to handle my media that I can use

Message 5 of 8
CDCBR3
Guide

OK, so I updated the firmware on the router, so they are both on the latest.

I think I now understand what is going on with the R8000 and SX10 a bit better. 

New issue: Router does not see any devices under the start of the DHCP scope which starts at  192.168.0.13

Switch #1 is 192.168.0.2

Switch #2 (Cisco) 192.168.0.4 

Nas #1192.168.0.5

Nas #2 192.168.0.7

I am thinking the discovery tool built into the switch/router is based on leased IPs and not statics. This would be fine in 90% of daily use,but for users with Static IPs for Nas/switches/servers, we would need a better management interface.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@CDCBR3 wrote:

New issue: Router does not see any devices under the start of the DHCP scope which starts at  192.168.0.13

I am thinking the discovery tool built into the switch/router is based on leased IPs and not statics. This would be fine in 90% of daily use,but for users with Static IPs for Nas/switches/servers, we would need a better management interface.

100% correct - a long time flaw or say hit-and-miss feature in Netgear's consumer routers, at least a few years (depends on when the bugs were added and forwarded to the live builds).

Devices with static IPs - not dealed with by the DHCP service on the router _and_ never comunicating with the Internet over the router - are listed in a hit-and-miss level only. Devices with static IP configs initially or rarely communication wth the Internet pop-up and disapper after a while. 

We have spotted the introduction of an alternate process using some kind of here undisclosed network scanner either on some Orbi or AX Nighthawks plus theusage of another open source for the DNS part - causing other issues (devices no longer on the network are not purged properly), and destroying the ability for maintaining a automatic local DNS domain mantenance.

We wish Netgear consumer BU would take care about all these frequent (and new) issues @Christian_R on the many routers out there - we have some very good contacts to the SBU side (in charge for the switches etc.), but here we're badly suffering as a community.

Regards,
-Kurt

PS: In fact, this thread should be moved to the Nightawk router community as this is not per-se a switch problem. And yes, I was the one who suggested a much better integration of the (nice) Gaming Switches with the consumer routers. Never happened...

Message 7 of 8
CDCBR3
Guide

And just like that, i'm flashed back to my original version of firmware. 

It seems the latest firmware update on the X6 , doent play well with Apple products and Wifi. (yes I have seen "workarounds" where you manuall map channels, but no, not going that route).

Also, when I flashed back, I could see my SX10 switch again and was able to set priority to Medium (at least its not a printer set to low anymore), oh, and ALL my apple products were able to connect fine again.

I really think there needs to be mor QC of the firmwares and compatability between products carrying the same brand name of Nighthawk.

I think at my FIRST oportunity, I will replace my Router with something that actually works properly.

As for the switch, The NAS doesnt work well with the Aqanta 108 chipset, so the 10Gb card was also a waste at this point.

That was the only reason for buying the SX10 switch in the first place. 

Lesson learned I guress

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7